To Thomas

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Thomas

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

I've heard it said that a lot of first-year law professors start their lectures with the warning that true justice doesn't exist. The system is an illusion that needs to be perpetuated for basic safety and personal freedoms to be maintained, but the human element makes everything else more unpredictable, less likely to garner results we'd consider just. Cops kill innocents and walk, thanks to this, or kids can plead Affluenza to lessen their own sense of responsibility after committing unforgiveable acts.

What's your take on this?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Thomas Ephesian

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"My professors told me the exact same thing, and so did my father. True justice is an ideal, it's something that's not humanly attainable because of our own base natures. Someone's debased killer is someone else's beloved son, essentially. Give any case to any grand jury, and interests outside of the legal procedure will color the final result. Law enforcement is typically close to the Law proper, and not all cops have enough respect for it to refuse to curry in favors. Not only that, but indicting a cop involves the implicit admission that the system has failed. Very few judges are willing to face that fact - especially when matters of public safety are invoked. It's always easier to blame the looters or the thugs than to support the rioters.

I do what I can while keeping all of this in mind. I consider myself as a servant of the people rather than my clients' representative, and I couldn't work on the Federal level or, say, go corporate without compromising that point of view. It means I have to live with certain decisions I'm not comfortable with and I have to look a few judges in the eye when I'd rather spit in their faces.

I can't disrupt due process, and I won't ever encourage anybody in their pursuits of a vigilante-inspired ethos if that means they'll arm themselves and start "cleaning" neighbourhoods. The best weapons I have are the firm's expense accounts and our research associates at Wyvern - when I can't lean on mister Tanner for specks of oratory brilliance. Past that, I have to hope that all those mages specializing in angels and demons are right, and that there really is something, some other place where the holes in my efforts are patched up.

Dad's made a living out of letting assholes walk after crashing the economy or commuting some higher-up Commission member's sentence from Life to a few years in a low-security establishment. Sometimes, he'd do something defensible and actually cool off a holier-than-thou judge's ardent reaction, adjusting the sentence to fit the crime. What paid for my tuition fees, though, came from funds my father received from Ruthven or Black Forest, when he didn't come home with a wine bottle pulled out of Weasel Biggs' own cellar.

He caved in, I'm just trying to make sure I can keep being myself while greasing the system's wheels. He lost sleep and briefly complained about hearing voices, a little after the Q Massacre. I can sleep at night and my conscience isn't torturing me. That's how I know I'm managing to find at least a bit of that elusive sense of true justice being served."