More brain nonsense!

Plot, scheme, devise, tinker and ruminate all you want in this forum. This space is chiefly reserved for any out-of-character discussions still pertaining to the game or storyline that might need to take place. If it fits the game but none of our characters, voice it here!
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

More brain nonsense!

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

I've seen the trailer for 1886: The Order, and while I'm not entirely onboard with the "Werewolves are arbitrarily evil!" plot point that's presented, I do like the notion of there having been a kind of hidden Gaslight Era XCOM. While the rest of us plebs are still duking it out with limited pistol and rifle technologies, you apparently have this group of super-cloistered semi-immortal Victorian superheroes of a sort who happen to use ordnance that's way ahead of the time period. Maybe even ahead of ours, at least in certain concepts being implemented.

Primarily, the E3 footage showcases the Thermite Rifle. It's basically a dual-mode weapon that actually requires both modes to be used at once in order to work to its full effect. One trigger fires off a slug-like canister of aluminum oxide (aka thermite, a component of fireworks) and the other works like your typical turn-of-the-century minigun, if you retrofitted it to look nice and Steampunky.

Shoot your canister first, then pepper your created cloud of flammable metallic dust with regular rounds. FWOOSH. Awesome.

The game looks like the weird lovechild of Charles Dickens and Cliff Blezinski (of Gears of War fame) and it made me wonder if Archie wouldn't remember using especially exotic weaponry, especially starting with the growing influence of alien tech on human development.