To Anyone

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Anyone

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Yo peeps,

Just curious, but what's all the rage as of 2025's gaming scene? Are any of you gamers, and what do you oldies think of gaming in general, all formats considered?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Three... and a few others.

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Three
"Well, the industry hasn't really learned from its mistakes. That much is obvious. Back in Afghanistan, I was stuck with consoles running Call of Duty: Karthian Winter 5. Basically, take the Tamerlane novels, strip them of any noteworthy characters or events, re-cast Anastasius with the burliest CGI'd Karthian I've ever seen, and stick a platoon's worth of fist-pumping pseudo-badass Americans and British doing Hiram's work. Less flair, more explosives, more one-button mind control shenanigans with the one token Karthian team member...

It's got microtransactions up the wazoo, if that tells you anything. Activision-Blizzard wants us to cough out two-fifty extra for access to Clank-grade weaponry, otherwise we're stuck to the era's bog standards. Lots of swords and musket rifles, a couple pistols... Nothing fancy or too exciting. The blunderbuss got a bigger kick from the previous version, but that's really just the multiplayer folks clamoring for their noob tube. Games are around seventy bucks now, and console manufacturers are done trying to creep into the living room, now.

They feel like tackling the office. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Stack productivity apps on top of a console and you get a cheaper and underpowered computer than you could've gotten for the same price using Clone hardware. I know Travis almost pushed Aldergard into getting him an Xbox Triad, supposedly because there's still plenty of leftovers from the NSA's poking around Redmond during the Xbox One's conceptualization phase. Officially, all the major consoles are air-tight. Officiously? The government can't touch the leftover ports without the Net Neutrality watchdogs descending like hawks, but corporations are free to come and go as they please.

Nigel says that's the reason why Goliath Entertainment crushed Nintendo on the consoles market. You want a piece of Mario, Sonic and Luigi in 2025? Get ahold of your iPhone 7 and grab some Freemium apps.

It's sad, I know."

Travis
"Augmented Reality's everywhere, nowadays. You see a bunch of kids pantomiming or jumping around in Centennial Park? They're probably seeing bishie or Moe versions of themselves via retinal override, and swapped the park and Sophia's pad for some stretch of Hawaiian Beach Volleyball tournament sand. Some people try and gameify every little aspect of their lives to keep going, to the point where there's actually a clinical condition called Achievement Addiction...

Pathetic, isn't it?

See, the brain loves its dopamine bursts. Games are all about squirting feel-good hormones all over your neurons, so there's a point where no amount of Platinum trophies will ever make you feel special - like you achieved something. Pair that with kids or youngsters who haven't hit a point where their personal successes are triggering the good kind of addiction, and you're stuck with adolescents chasing the next digital trip like it's the fucking Klondike. They won't do shit with their lives, but damn if they won't hit Tenth Prestige in Aidan's Kill The Guy Who's Totally Not Anastasius Romanov game that he mentioned."

Archie
"What I'd like to know is whatever the bloody Hell happened to Chess? I challenged the Czar of Russia himself in mental duels of the highest calibre, and what do youngsters play, nowadays? The Sims 7. Ooooh, the fascinating vagaries of virtual domesticity - someone please shoot me.

Wouldn't you like to reminisce on a tense game of intrigue and subterfuge where your every wits and burst of deductive reasoning will be put to the test? No, I'd really rather work on my kill streak, they say. What of complex reflections on contemporary socio-political worries? What of ethics and philosophy wrapped in a tantalizing package? Deus Ex: Human Revolution barely costs a dollar on Good Old Games!

No, they say, I'd really rather frag some beings who exist as poorly-conceived attempts to evoke the past threat of the Chimeras and that really only come off as staggeringly awful examples of poor taste.

First, there were Nazis. Then, there were Alien Russians. Muslims followed, and now we find ourselves shooting at Transgenics.

And Shamus wonders why I've never had more than disparaging remarks to dispense with in regards to the current so-called industry darlings..."