To Archie

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Archie

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

How many secret passageways are there in Holden Hall?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Archie

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Hm, let me see...

The passage between the old coal cellar and the gardener's shed would count as one, as would the old Forensics and Chemistry laboratory that is hidden underneath my back yard's garden. Two of my guest rooms are only accessible through the library and are largely designed as temporary hiding spaces or asset retention facilities; while the servants' quarters - which are now unused - are connected to the remainder of the house both through the standard corridors and smaller, narrower thoroughfares that once enabled the help to move about unobtrusively.

I suspect the Hall's newfound purpose will force a great deal of changes upon what I still consider to be my home, and I certainly would like a few of the Hall's secrets to remain secret. I had plans to make the library's fireplace slide away to reveal an underground passage leading to the observatory, and my pantries and various closets could very easily be connected to one another at certain points. That goes without mentioning the observatory's own potential. We could place a holding cell in one of its walls, or perhaps decentralize our computing equipment at least in part, to compromise between mister Hauser's professed comfort in dark spaces and his need for low latency... Hm.

Yes, well - as a boy, I remember spending days losing myself in the family estate, snickering at the thought of waylaying my caretakers as I'd slip through the Canterbury halls for the servants or clamber down the secret staircase leading up to portions of the attic that were normally limited for the help's storage needs. Even today, I look to common households, with their plain rooms and lack of theme-based touches, and find myself saddened for them.

Beyond added safety, there is a bit of a thrill in knowing which collapsible panel leads where, which grandfather clock is a convenient dummy and which wall-mounted rifle is no more than a conveniently ornamental switch... For that reason, I've started looking for a few small presents I could eventually offer to my newest of friends, and hit upon the idea of those wonderful Japanese chests of drawers. I know of no household that wouldn't earn a bit of additional flair with the addition of a properly selected karakuri-tansen.

Collapsible drawers, hidden fireproof safes, integrated alarm systems - all with the elegance and distinction that was all the rage, as of my last few years spent in the flesh. That or, of course, furniture of Egyptian design."