To Sariel

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Sariel

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

How do Seducers differ from incubi and succubi?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Sariel

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"In a way, Seducer is a bit of a misnomer, for my kind. We're not outwardly seductive - at least not in terms of our attitude - but we're there, especially in Pandemonium, to coax and cajole the Damned towards freedom using a different kind of trituration. Unlike the others, as we're of no Vice, we don't hold back in providing healing to our charges. Where we differ from angels is in how we cajole and coerce - sometimes softly, with all the kindness we can muster, and sometimes with a bit more force, using our authority. Some people don't need smokescreens to break through, so much as they need a sounding board - a Socratic demon, in a sense, to mirror their thoughts, lay out their own progress or lack thereof in clear forms.

My job is to challenge expectations - especially those of the Damned towards themselves, and to bring about a certain process of realization - an epiphany, if you will, in those I treat. We used to be consorts in the past centuries; dancers or concubines - not the licentious types, so much as the talkative ones, the thoughtful ones helping their guest feel at ease, playing at the locks of the mortals' own inner perceptions. Today, most of us use standard psychotherapy practices, complimented with arcane applications. Like Bob, I came to Earth to refine my skills before earning my post, and spent four successive lifetimes developing expertise in cognitive therapy. You won't find me on the battlefield, not when I was trained to use my gifts to induce hypnosis or EMDR therapy, among other things. I've heard some younger Damned refer to us as ASMR demons, and I have to admit the concept is fairly amusing.

Not that it's much of a surprise, but I've taken to putting a few mortals on my schedule, of late. I enjoy getting to them so early on, while they're still alive - it helps to prevent the obvious grief and processing required of anyone who reaches Pandemonium. I'd love to say I have the key to ensure that nobody ever reaches my shores in the Afterlife, but mortals are unique and wonderfully flexible creatures. That opens them to choices that might seem unwise, even if prior preparation is offered.

In some ways, I'd say my job is done if someone reaches Pandemonium with a modicum of grace. By that, I mean prior acceptance of their fate, as well as the understanding that their outcome is still entirely theirs to control. No-one in Hell seeks to disempower anyone - especially now that the old Princes have been deposed. What we seek is to lay those who visit us bare, so that the Damned may looked upon themselves without shame.

It's only through acceptance that growth can be achieved - and growth is the only means to reach Heaven."