To Gabriel

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Gabriel

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

What's Heaven's policy regarding Saint Death?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Gabriel

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"The Santa Muerte cult that has taken root in Sinaloa and that is spreading northwards is cause for concern, indeed. As an angel in Heaven's ranks, I dutifully ignore requests for swift vengeance or unmotivated loss of life. Those few foolhardy sorts who dared to perform sacrifices in my name found nothing but Hell's wastes when their time came. I seeded my own lore in the mortal plane thousands of years ago, however. Most of us who hold official functions did the very same, with the Thrones having preceded us all by making the learning of their summoning requisites an act of rememberance. All that lives in the mortal plane instinctively feels its debt of life to the Thrones' exerted tools, those who are particularly attuned coming to find out how to contact Matriel, Abdiel and the others far easier than other powers in Heaven.

Saint Death's creation, on the other hand, feels like it could re-enact Baron Samedi's manifestation: a mortal soul dies whilst leaving a cultural imprint strong enough to warrant worship. Said worship bolsters it and anchors it closer to its believers, in the Shadowlands. Over time, the characteristics of the individual melt away, the soul assuming the visage and purpose of the entity it's being worshipped as. Some say Baron Samedi is the first human to ever have died of natural causes. If that is the case, millions of years of rememberance have turned him into the clay that the Voodoo and Santeria faiths equally shape.

Saint Death is the opposite. For now, she stands as an empty concept - a meme of sorts. One day, however, a particularly potent soul will assume the Bony One's mantle and be there to provide ears for the drug lords and petty thieves to reach. Faith in her will build up over generations if she simply doesn't fall into disuse. Should this happen, then Heaven would be faced with a conundrum, with millions of individuals claiming to deserve entrance in Heaven despite having worshipped an unaffiliated spirit clad in the Mexican Light-oriented traditions. One who looks as though Heaven would support her, while providing decidedly dark services that exist within the Pit's purview.

Should this day arise, I'll need to categorically reject my association with such a figure. Heaven has never condoned human sacrifices, no matter how potent blood magic may be. Thugs purportedly blessed by a so-called saint would be as credible to us as cultists claiming to be loved by Amaxi. I won't let turf wars or gangland shootouts turn into vectors of arcane energies if I can help it."