A Light in the Darkness

Completed one-shot storylines are archived here after their completion.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: A Light in the Darkness

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

The older Weaver seemed satisfied, but something was also visibly tugging at him. "I do have to ask, however - how protected is this place? You've consciously granted me passage, but have you ever felt other wills passing through?"

Even as he asked his question, he looked about and seemed to give the park an appraising glance. "Although, considering how vast you've made this place and how many faces flit about, these streets and buildings would act as a sufficient maze in and of themselves. Your home, though, would have to have a few redundancies. As different as you've made this... city out to be, others will notice it. You're in one of the far-off corners of the Darkhallow, where Their madness doesn't impede on our desired creations, and inside Nereus' own domain - but any patient sleeper could make its way over to you across a few nights."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Well, besides the city, there's various environments that stretch a good ways beyond it. I haven't noticed any other minds passing through. As for our home, the doors lead to whatever place we want them to, so we've just kept building on the areas the doors lead to. There's also shortcuts that only Nereus and I know about," Meris described.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Oh, good," replied Delmar with a nod, being seemingly unable to entirely hide his relief. "I shouldn't worry, really - this level of detail in an environment based on a potential future is almost unheard of. I do recognize a few bits and pieces from the Black Books, but even the Others' all-seeing eyes can't quite predict just how figments of prophecy will unfold. The Books themselves are always changing, constantly revising themselves. It's their power and the source of their transmitted insanity."

He then looked back to Meris. "I suppose I should warn you, then: whatever I might say to you that might have the appearance of a certain fact that's guaranteed to happen in the coming centuries needs to be doubted, put into question. It's the only rational thing to do."

The Squid gestured outwards. "This is your expected future, the Black Books foretold another, and the reality of what will happen can be somewhere at the crossroads between both realities - or starkly different. Enjoy this place, Meris. Rest in it, recollect and prepare within it - but don't fall to its wiles, or allow yourself to fall too deep. It'll be in your nature and Nereus' to create places where none of your troubles can reach you, where happiness is the one constant. Never forget that it isn't anything else than a goal to be reached. It won't ever be real until you make it real."

He then stood up, being much healthier in the dream world than he'd even been in life. "Now, let's see if I can find that little cottage I'd spotted... I do need my own little nook, after all, and you don't need me nesting two doors down from where you're enjoying an extended preview of marital bliss... I was thinking of pitching my tent in one of the unused little homes in your projection of the Orkneys, preferably in a corner Nereus wouldn't think to snoop in."

He was silent for a few moments as he mulled it over. "Would you terribly mind if I took the lighthouse over? I know there's equal parts contemporary huts and future houses in your native stretch of land, and I really wouldn't want to intrude on your relatives' projections... Being in the future, so to speak, would allow me to mingle with the more tolerant folk from this city's contemporary era, and would spare your family the discomfort of having someone like me in their midst."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Meris momentarily pondered over the dangers of falling prey to the alluring wiles of the created sanctuary. She briefly thought of Nereus and the risks he faced as well in their cozy home. Really, it made sense. The DarkHallow was a dream world associated with the Others, who were nothing more than unrestrained feelings and urges that had learned to use those sensations for mass manipulation. If one was not careful, a world of unconditional love and acceptance could be just like a pit of quicksand pulling you further and further in until you ceased to exist.

Broken out of her train of thought, she returned her attention to Delmar and nodded in agreement with his proposal. "Of course you can have the the lighthouse! I don't mind you making it your retreat. I want you to feel comfortable and happy around your neighbors as fictitious as they are. Decorate the lighthouse however you want, " she stated.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Thank you," said the old man, briefly bowing his head. He stuck his folded newspaper under one arm and started in the common direction their houses shared. "Oh, by the way - I promise I won't intrude in your perceptions of the real world too often. Seeing this old Squid in futuristic clothing hover around your immediate surroundings like a ghost would drive you mad over time, I'm sure," he admitted, chuckling.

He was silent for a moment, choosing to take in the tranquility of the park as they passed by its tail end and returned to the roane's neighbourhood. "Just give me a mental prod, if you should ever need my help. I won't be able to shoulder any physical burdens, but I'll gladly sit down and give you a listening ear for as long as you'll need."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Thank you," the roane replied, smiling. She grew silent for a few moments of their walk, collecting her thoughts, and then continued, "Given the general uncertainty of the future, I will probably need a listening ear. As you said, this world is a sanctuary based in the future, but I have no idea of the events that will lead to it. One thing I know for sure is that it will be a long and hard road with many burdens to bear. I am glad to have you as a travel companion," she stated.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Just as I'm grateful you've given me this chance," he said. "I would have left, Meris, but if there's one thing both the poor fools you know and the proud civilization we used to be had in common, it's the gift of prophecy. The Architect gave us foresight, as it's said, knowing that our appearances would make integration difficult, and our gifts a difficult prospect for peace to be created. I dreamed, one night, and I'll confess to seeing this place."

He fell silent again. "In exacting detail. All this tells me is that I was meant to be here. I wouldn't wish your burden on anyone, but my being a passenger in your subconscious strikes me as being temporary, somehow. I feel as though the shade that this place happens to be whispers of immense potential to me."

As he walked, he eventually looked back to Meris. "I'm to help you in spirit, but someday - somehow - I'll have to counsel Nereus. Be the one Chamberlain he deserves, and to do so in the flesh. In my own flesh."

He then scoffed, rolled his eyes and smirked. "My own flesh... Which I've just inconveniently abandoned. It'll be eons before any dead being will be able to be remade, somehow."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Yes, the only methods of embodying a soul is arcane in nature," she mused, thoughtfully pouting. "I doubt you'd want the form of an animate or ghoul or some other undead creature. Technology in the future must have the ability to create bodies for housing spirits."

Meris turned to him. "I imagine Nereus' mind would likely boggle at the idea of having a Chamberlain who didn't want to kill or connive against him. What do you think he'll need counseling on?" she inquired.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Delmar let a happy and thoughtful chuckle loose. "A great many things, I'd imagine. I've seen the dreams of my people in Respite Point, and through them, I've had glimpses of their respective cultures. Sometimes, I'd catch a glint of someone's native politics.

Treachery is a given in any culture, unfortunately. Selkies can be as self-interested as anyone else, but you all seem to have an innate desire for stability, safety and progress. Cultures on the surface world will readily participate in terrible forms of bloodshed if it'll guarantee a stable form of peace, afterwards. You're all capable of as many monstrosities as us Weavers - but everything you do is done in the name of continued life.

In more favorable auspices, this allows you to lay down the proverbial daggers and let your words do the fighting for you. I've dreamed of the Roman Senate and of another selkie clan's fireside councils. I've seen Sarvin seek counsel from his peers in his city. You're capable of holding incredibly strong grudges, all the while never going so far as to wish harm upon the person you disagree with."

He then canted his head to the side, in allowance. "Or - when you do, it's all idle threats. Mothers wishing they could wring the necks of their turbulent offspring, even while they'll extend heaps of love and praise toward them... Nereus might have to learn that it's entirely normal for someone else besides his appointed Consort to want to stand close to the proverbial throne. Augurs have to guard themselves out of fear of potential treason - but just and open-minded leaders understand that good ideas can come from the least expected of places.

He'll have to learn that treachery has no place in any sort of court or political system that's united under a common goal. It's that concept, honestly - collective objectives - that's going to take some getting-used-to. Not everyone on the surface will welcome us, and we'll have to rely on those that will."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Meris chuckled lightly as Delmar described the threats dished out by frustrated mothers toward their offspring, relating to her own trials while dealing with a troublesome Kai in his terrible twos. She glanced over at the elderly Void Weaver as they walked toward her home. "That's a lesson the entire Void Weaver race will have to understand. Working together to create a stable community that actually lasts and not for the ultimate goal of destruction," she stated.