To Gabriel

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Gabriel

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

It's my understanding that you gave Nami her knowledge of martial arts, and she seems to a bit of an oddity amongst Nephilim. I guess most Nephilim are the offspring of lower angels, and Matriel's daughter was a fluke? What did you initially pick up off her of as an infant?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Gabriel

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Matriel's daughter is the exception that confirms a tacit, if unspoken guideline - the one that discourages the most powerful in Heaven's ranks from procreating with the mortal races.

This is for the simple and good reason that the longer Nami will live, the more her comparatively weaker mortal half and her much stronger angelic upbringing will compete with one another. In Nephilim resulting from low-ranking angels, genetic stability is guaranteed. In those coming from especially potent members of the Host, however - as is Nami's case - some uncertainty remains. She seems stable now, but what of a few decades from now? What if her body never fixates on a mortal's biological status and consistently wavers between recognizable weaknesses and sudden outbursts of angelic strength? While some modern medical treatments that apply to certain forms of superhumans would alleviate this issue, it doesn't change the fact that the older she'll grow, the more likely it is that her body either tears itself apart or extinguishes her angelic nature entirely.

In some ways, her fate mirrors your average Changeling's, the difference being that she'll have no conscious choice in the matter. Trauma, or the lack thereof, could push her either way. Shedding her mortal coil would involve all the expected hardships of death, while the loss of her angelic half would force her to relinquish her current gifts. Her implants notwithstanding, she would be entirely mundane, for all intents and purposes.

I don't have anything against her, personally - or else I wouldn't have trained her. I simply don't envy her fate. As to why I trained her, it was largely so she'd have a chance against any potentially less charitable ones among the Host. I'd hate to hear that she was taken out because someone in my ranks believed that her existence diminished Hanako's powers of self-determination. Hanako's or her friends or coworkers; anyone she routinely comes in contact with, honestly.

I won't debate semantics and assume that Nami's presence is a form of angelic intercession, but some among my peers have been known to be hard-lining in this matter. Considering, all that I detected in her was your typical infant's willingness to live. I was inclined to agree, having always been close to and understanding of the value of existence on the mortal plane.

Her father, however, was thrown in for a loop... Poor Matriel - one moment, he was the Throne of Water, someone whose only complex human interaction typically involved displays of affection for his lover. He'd conquered reasoning like a mortal adult long ago, which was already a severe downgrade from the lofty heights of his true form's unfathomable musings; but he was stable. He'd managed to figure out how to be and act like a devoted husband. He was, or so it seemed, set for life."

He chuckles.

"The next thing I know, he's looking down at this little bundle, realizing that there's a lot more to raising a living being than simply being loving or kind... By looking at him, you'd have sworn he'd forgotten about the Jurassic Extinction Event! You mammals hadn't been giving birth to fully-formed individuals for all but the few first million years of your reign; so he'd have to tend to that little thing's needs for two decades, if not three...

It's the only time I've ever seen a Throne display something approaching fear. I didn't know if I had to laugh or offer him one of my shoulders."