To Gabriel

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Gabriel

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

How are guardian angels determined for individuals? Is it at random, or is there a more methodical process choosing which angel is assigned to each mortal? Does the angel have a choice in the matter? Also, what's the story behind you and Aidan?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Gabriel

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Under normal circumstances, it takes a special kind of moral fiber or a few particular threads in the weave of a mortal's past actions for us to take notice. Self-sacrifice, faith in something constructive, an unusually solid moral compass... The more outstanding a mortal is, the more likely it is to be tormented. That's when we send a guardian to look after them. Most mortals take care of themselves without our involvement, but most mortals don't wrestle against demons, corrupted Fae or Void Weavers...

From your side of the question, the New Agers would be correct. Mortals would appear to have guardian angels affected to them by a higher power, but the truth of the matter is Heaven allows for all those in the Host who are willing to take up a mortal ward to look at all simultaneous potentials at once. We can look down upon you and spend a few seconds on our clock and maybe a few years in yours - just observing. We have ample time to become fairly well-acquainted with what you are, what you were, and what you could be. Then, the very same way you might choose a promising medium as an artist before starting a project, we make our choice.

Not all angels are fit to be guardian material, however. The more disconnected from Humanity they are, the less likely they are to understand that making wrong choices or slipping into bad decisions is part and parcel of mortal existence. We interview applicants before they're even allowed to make a selection, and anyone who displays too strong a level of Divine attachment is regrettably rejected. Understanding and accepting the concept of Imperfection is a crucial part of a guardian angel's training. Applicants have to love Humanity for all it does, all it shouldn't do, and all that it keeps doing anyway. Empathy and compassion are absolute cornerstones of the trade.

I guess you could say it isn't all that removed from one of your job interviews, in a roundabout sort of way.

Then, however, there are special cases. Each Knight in the Order of Saint George is blessed with a guiding Virtue, angels equal in rank to myself, if not very close to me. People who throw themselves into the proverbial fire for a good cause and who do it in complete fearlessness earn the best of the best in the Host's protectors. Most guardian angels only whisper to their mortal's subconscious or stoke their heart's embers when appropriate. When a mortal is guarded by one such as myself, however, we have to take that particularly blessed mortal's safety on our shoulders. Sometimes, we appear as tangible beings or otherwise do our best to alter the course of incoming weapons fire. In the most desperate or crucial of cases, guardian angels will manifest under the cover of one of their mortal's team members, or as a direct superior. This is a high-level intrusion we consider as a last-ditch option, as infiltrating a mortal's life in so direct a fashion means forever altering its course. It means robbing that mortal of a part of its autonomy, even if he or she should never notice it happened.

Aidan's case is... different altogether. I stand as a general in Heaven's armies, and he is my personal charge. I've set his life and Charles Jenkins' on particularly grisly and unnatural paths. I've destroyed one man's chances at normalcy and jeopardized a young soldier's reputation. I may very well have ruined Aidan's life - or at least one of the lives he could've lived.

I'm not here to ensure he's protected. I'm not here to console him, either. I'm here to ensure he's armed and ready. I'm also aware that potential future events might force me to overstep my bounds and risk God's wrath by diverting the course of the lives of Shield's employees."