To Delmar

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Delmar

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

So what have the centuries been like for you in Meris' mind? How were you able to survive her death that would lead to her becoming an archmage? How did you help her cope with the trauma she had to face?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Delmar

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I'd have to say the centuries passed as a largely placid span of time, Meris' doubts and other insecurities only occasionally reaching my doorstep in the Darkhallow. I emerged in her conscious mind when I felt she was in need of assistance and otherwise did my best to leave her be. I was even glad for her during those long stretches in which she was busy enough to completely forget about me. Then, maybe at the favor of a difficult bit of research, I'd feel her mind pull me closer. I must've emerged and become visible to her only a dozen times, overall. The last thing I wanted was to make her seem like a madwoman who sees old men where there aren't any.

I couldn't be of any direct help in the events that led to her death, but she did come to me in the weeks that had preceded that, understanding that the Chamberlain had had enough of her meddling. He wanted her dead, and was sending more and more assassins and cultists to try and dispatch her. It stood to reason she'd eventually be too tired to keep up a decent amount of arcane defenses, or that the Chamberlain would use Scorched Earth tactics on her. The risk of her being goaded into burning her stores of energy and focus was growing, and an exhausted mage caught up in a confrontation is, for all intents and purposes, a dead mage.

I prepared her subconscious at the favor of a few dreams. I couldn't bring the issue of her impending death to her conscious mind, as this is the kind of notion that eats away at you if you're left to ponder it in full awareness. I dug through her memories and cobbled bits and pieces of useful spells together, creating a resurrection ritual that I more or less planted in the recesses of her mind. In a somewhat Pop Culture-savvy sense, I performed Inception on her. Unfortunately, this meant I couldn't reveal anything to her conscious self, once she visited the Darkhallow. I couldn't reassure her as to her ability to survive the rising tension and pressure. I had to let her confront her own fear.

It worked, thankfully. One of the Chamberlain's men pushed past the last of her exhausted spell reserves at the end of a drawn-out arcane confrontation and stabbed her a few times. Panic set in once she realized she was bleeding out, and her mind scrabbled for anything that could turn the tide. All I had to do was push the ritual I'd designed somewhere near her conscious mind. She bled out, effectively died on the floor, but she retained ownership of her body. She kept her heart's empty chambers beating and remained entirely corporeal. The ritual gave her a few days of quasi-undeath that allowed her to carve quite a path through her killers, and then her body's vital functions were gradually restored. Within a week of her death, she was a full-fledged Archmage.

Ever since, it hasn't been that much of an issue for her to take care of minor cuts and bruises simply by willing them away. She still carries a First Aid kit in case of more severe injuries, but stove-top or cutting board problems are generally a thing of the past."