To Allan

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Allan

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

I'm stuck in a YouTube debate with a bunch of progressives and far too many regressive types that figure the LGBT groups are a plague on society, abortive freaks, sinful idiots or, well, what have you. I'm running out of rhetoric angles and literal steam. Are things better in 2025?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Allan

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Oh, honey - you're yelling at windmills! I'm sorry to say, but things haven't entirely progressed in those ten years. Louisiana's recanted its earlier decision and made same-sex marriages constitutional in '23, but the public opinion and the Machine don't quite mesh, to be honest. The pundits are on our side now, that much is true, but there's just so many opportunities for ignorance to keep growing and for useless fears to stay in place that some large swaths of the population still are completely confused by my life choices.

The one line I hear the most often is well-meaning mothers telling us they don't want to explain to their kids why two guys are kissing in a restaurant. What's there to explain? If I bring out my beau to lunch and feel like giving him a peck, I'm just being affectionate! If we kiss with tongue in public, the very same thing applies!

So many people still assume that heteronormative couples are part of some sort of biological imperative. Sex has to give way to pregnancy in their minds, and any man who doesn't try and find a breeding partner is failing at his responsibilities as a man. I don't want kids - kids yell and want stupid toys and need almost twenty years before they develop anything like a social conscience! Besides, I'm selfish! I want to take care of myself, I want to treat my partner to nice things, and the rest doesn't really matter to me. My legacy's going to be Griffin Security's sales records and the parties I'll have sponsored; passing the biological torch doesn't even enter my mind.

I mean, I've met nice kids before, even a few I'd go so far as to call absolute sweethearts, and I like treating the occasional polite raggamuffin to a good time, when the boss decides we're up for a Bring Your Kids to Work day. It's the little monsters I'm leery of. I'd rather be someone's Awesome Informal Uncle than having to wonder who's going to take care of the more maternal stuff.

Beyond that? Like I said, I just don't let bigotry phase me. If a scrawny sixtysomething female human wags a finger at me and tells me I'm some sort of freak of nature, all I've got in mind is Please, I'm a three hundred-pound anthro with a healthier cardiovascular system than anything you'll ever have, lady. Go and find out why you're so bitter, and then maybe I'll give a damn about what you think. Can I take a wild guess and assume that it's my happiness that you happen to find insulting?

I'll just keep on being happy, I guess. C'est la vie!"