To Travis

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Travis

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Has general computer savvy increased, from now until 2025?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Travis

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I'd really love to tell you that Mammoth OS crushed Windows thanks to the way Goliath hired a couple Linux cowboys; but the fact of the matter is that most people still can't figure out their net user command line from their ipconfig.

It's like I told you, when we discussed the hacking scene: easy-peasy compilers take care of the code assembly, everything else is handled through a GUI that's so goddamned transparent it pretty much hurts the intelligence of anyone who ever had to work in the Windows era. Take Legal's computer farm, for instance. Katherine gets a bug, she calls I.T. That's expected of her. The problem is, she's a lawyer who's ever had to handle PCs as a clerical platform, with the deepest little bits and pieces of hackery she's probably managed to tackle on her own being the deactivation of her curved screen's animated background. One hop on any self-made "PC expert" site, and you'll find the needed registry key fixes. A braindead infant could follow the steps and not fuck up the desktop.

The thing is others in Legal call my guys down for really ridiculous stuff, sometimes. I get it, not everyone's into computers and a lot of Legal guys would rather just treat the things like they're glorified typewriters, and then get back to golfing or playing mobile phone games, or whatever. But - come on. Anyone who was born in the late nineties should know how to fix user profile errors, or even how to circumvent shitty protective measures put in place by moronic floor managers that somehow managed to exclude half of Legal's corral of toner printers from the rest of the freaking network...

A lot of so-called I.T. wizards just trust the front-end to do its job, and forget all about the antique bits and bobs; the parts of most PCs that nobody pays attention to anymore. I don't care if you have the most secure edition of Mammoth OS on the planet, or if you're working on an offline legacy Windows 7 rig; one has the Linux command prompt buried at its core, and the other only needs a pair of deft hands to cough up access to MS-DOS. Those parts aren't ever fully secured, and anyone with some basic know-how can fuck up someone's day on a royal scale.

All I need is my packet-sniffing setup, some decent ping, and my wireless access decrypter. The long and short of it is that there's a reason I'm practically physically tethered to Starr's phone, and there's also a reason for the stares you'll get around Wyvern if you confuse Network Security with I.T.

I'll fix your open ports or punch new holes into any desired target. I'll sniff out passwords or partially recover files and folders from static RAM fragments. I'll nuke whatever needs to be nuked, if the office asks me to do it.

Just don't ask me to swap out your faulty memory sticks or to figure out why your power supply unit's on the fritz. I specialize in information warfare and intelligence; not wallpaper customization. My job is to make the I.T. crowd shit its pants if Aldergard so much as suspects that someone's not on the up-and-up."