To Nereus

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Nereus

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

What was your initial impression of Sophia or any dryad for that matter? Had Meris ever spoken of them, especially since there's a representation of the Centennial Tree in the dream world you created with her?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Nereus

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I remember drawing the Tree from the Darkhallow's future projections, but I didn't think to focus on what or who lived inside or alongside it. Maybe Meris compensated, but I wouldn't know. I've studied dryads after managing to salvage some of House Lulroth's study papers, however. They definitely perplexed my kind, and I can see why. It takes a surface-dweller to understand sylvan tutelary spirits, and Dalarath never developed anything that'd resemble giant mushrooms with their protective entities.

Once I reached the surface, however, hearing about Sophia's kind was just a matter of time. Greece still has a few dozen enchanted groves and clearings, and the small land masses forced them to mingle with the mortals much more quickly than in North America. I could never befriend one, however; they always seemed to have some hunch of what was waiting behind the Flesh Mask I wore. I can't blame them, honestly. If anything, I'd have to commend them for their instincts.

England was... regrettably fruitful for my endeavors, however. The youngsters have already met Circe; and I used to know her fairly well. The Chamberlain determined that'd we'd do well in subverting a connection to the World's Breath for our own use, and I was forced to agree with him. I had to gain her trust first, and I'm sad to say that the summer of 1897 was one of the best ones of my life. I took Circe and introduced her to the hustle and bustle of a large mortal metropolis, we both filled our hearts and minds with culture and refinements diverse, we ate and drank together...

I tried to hold myself back, to push against the Chamberlain. It's one of the first few times I'd manage to oppose him before the advent of the twentieth century. I was only starting to gain in confidence, to be able to perhaps bring my own plans into motion. It wasn't enough. The Chamberlain used the cover of a few bottles of wine and a glass of absinthe to open me up to Dar-Larath. I saw red, lost myself and destroyed Circe utterly before she'd even be able to conjure roots to defend herself.

Amaxi took her over.

Considering this, you can understand why I stayed away from the public eye outside of my televised appearances; especially around Hope. Whenever I'd glance at Sophia, I'd see a reminder of something horrible that I'd done to a beautiful person. I was almost glad when I did see her, however. The more ashamed I was, the more I hated my second-in-command. The more I hated him, the more motivated I was. If it wasn't for that shame, odds are I wouldn't have been able to plan accordingly, once Meris reappeared. I would've let my own self-loathing crush me into another bout of depression and I would've hidden behind more fake smiles and emphatic laughter.

Once this blew over, however, I made sure to thank Sophia for the support she wasn't even aware she'd given me."