To Sophia

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Sophia

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

I just watched one of these upteenth "Celebrity Films a Travelogue with a Camera Crew and Supposedly Lucky Animal Encounters" shows that's been popping left and right around the local travel-oriented TV channels. This one had Lost's Dominic Monaghan acting like the raddest cod entomologist ever in his Beat-Up Chic RV.

Anyway. He was down in the Sonora desert looking for the Gila Monster, and it made me think... You've had conferences or meetings with other dryads in the past, and I wondered if cactus dryads were a thing. Are they?
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

As Sophia

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Yes, cactus dryads are most definitely a thing. I've had saguaro-based dryads visiting from Arizona and parts of California. There are other types of cactus dryads, but they're one of the more common representatives. I believe that comes from the native plant's tree-like presence and reflects the power of the local nexus. Much like the cacti they're based off of, their bodies are adorned with the characteristic spines, along with beautiful flowers and fruits if it's the right season.

The main reason my southwestern cousins visit is to assess issues of concern on environmental or arcane levels. They tend not to stay longer than needed, as they find the region overly wet for their tastes. Generally practical and quiet types, but friendly enough when they're not feeling overly prickly..." *chuckles*
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: To Sophia

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Hah. :D

Speaking of, is Jack the only fruit or gourd-based dryad in your neck of the woods? I mean the East Coast, mostly.

I'm trying to imagine eggplant dryads and all I'm getting is flashes of the Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus.

Yeah, Nintendo kid here.
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

As Sophia

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

*chuckles* "Well, there are some turnip and squash based dryads in Rhode Island and surrounding eastern states, but I would say arboreal dryads and coastal naiads are the most common. The agricultural spirits fall somewhere on either side of Jack in the spectrum when it comes down to their relationships with the moral populations. Since the agriculture business has become so monopolized and mechanized, they tend to be closed book sorts."