To Matthias

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Matthias

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Could vampires manage to beat Felix Baumgartner at his own game?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Matthias

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

The vampire squints at his computer screen, scoffs, and then laughs earnestly for a second or two.

"Oh, no. Heavens, no! Blood is still blood, no matter in which type of body it's contained, and I honestly am in no special hurry to see how my reserves would fare in massively decreased levels of barometric pressure. Ebulism is a factor to be considered - that is, the way liquids tend to boil when subjected to drastically lessened atmospheres. The layman's term is cold boil, as no heat is required to produce ebulism.

Place the eldest of all clinically undead vampires at the very edge of space, and Physics is sure to do what its lessened blood reserves will. Any human or humanoid body that passes the sound barrier without highly specific genetic adaptations common to superhumans will suffer debilitating injuries, all starting from which part of the body initially went supersonic.

To be honest, I don't care how old you are or how many civilizations you've seen rise and fall - you'll need a spaceworthy suit, a brake chute and then, a parachute. There wouldn't be much left of Lilith herself, if she went supersonic and somehow failed to slow her descent."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Matthias

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

So in a catastrophic situation involving an orbital shuttle that's going FUBAR, all undead and living passengers have the same threats and problems to face?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Matthias

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Absolutely. Well - apart from the oxygen supplies. Dead vampires like myself only draw in air to speak, and we don't treat the air we take in the way you do. I inhale and exhale oxygen, and am physically unable to produce carbon monoxide. Pack a shuttle with eleven vampires from my bloodline and one mortal, that one last mortal will have twelve people's worth of air supply to breathe, if the cabin is properly pressurized.

Past that, being forced to jump at the edge of space - or worse still, near your current apoapsis? If the right gear was supplied, chances are the passengers could survive a short EVA transitioning into a controlled freefall. The onus is really on said gear, however. To use a modern phrase, we'd all be equally hosed if this were ever to happen."