Kathar Vedrek (WIP)

If your character's biography was moved here, chances are it needed some additional work. Place your own works in progress here for easier storage. Label them clearly with the W.I.P. acronym.
kkennett

Kathar Vedrek (WIP)

Post by kkennett »

Name: Kathar Epirus Vedrek

Species: Human

Strengths: Superhuman intelligence (IQ 190+). Chess master.

Weaknesses: Young women (i.e. far too young for him) get his attention even when he'd rather not be distracted. Blunt and standoffish. Is very irritated by all the stupid people in the world, and angry that he is seemingly alone with them.

Appearance: Glasses. Slightly balding. Slim and tall. Vivid blue eyes. Looks like he needs a shave most of the time. Most usually wears monochromatic clothing (black/white/gray). Never wears a hat, even in the rain. Loafers, T-Shirts and jeans.

Behaviour: Irritated most of the time. Bored. His speech is short and blunt. Has no time for fools, and thinks most people are fools. Finds very few things funny, but usually what he laughs at is black truth, such as somebody failing when they strive for something they should have known they could not do. He is interested in thins for their purpose in the moment.

Goals: Vedrek is working on his grand plan to fix the world. :)

History: Vedrek was born in Hope, but was shortly orphaned and was moved to and grew up in Northern Canada, in a quiet and cold village separated from much of humanity. The grandmother who adopted him was an alcoholic and she died when he was 4. He knew very early on how smart he was and he got frustrated by it easily. He has had no real friends since childhood, since inevitably the people he meets are mentally weak or simply boring. He spent his teen years in college at Cambridge, and by 25 had finished PhDs in Physics, Mathematics, and Economics. However, he was unable to get a job due to his personality traits. He wrote books until he was 32, but could never get them published. He spent more years in school due to lack of anything better to do, and achieved PhDs in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering and Computer Science. He then abruptly moved back to Hope when he was 40 and has been working on his grand plan since then.
Last edited by kkennett on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: Kathar Vedrek (WIP)

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Looks okay so far, but the name's a bit standoffish.

I'm Canadian, you're Canadian. :) Do you know that many people called "Vedrek" who'd call their son "Kathar"?

Maybe normalize that just a tad? I'm not asking for "John Smith McBlandington", but unless he's got Karthian blood, his current name really doesn't work.

As yes, that could explain it to a degree. Karthians being aliens who have been living on Earth for some time now, their naming conventions *would* have seeped into family traditions where it makes sense. As in, say, a case of the Vedrek patriarch (his grandpa) being a Grayskin, which would make Kathar about two-thirds human. It helps that Karthians are naturally close to Vedrek's concept: a bit blunt around the edges, not terribly patient, lacking in the social graces and generally unimpressed by human technological achievements.

Except in specific cases...
kkennett

Post by kkennett »

He was born in Hope, Leam.
He's pure human.
His name is Ukranian based.
I would like to make him an orphan if i can.

I should be able to name him whatever I want.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Sure, I just didn't spot clear references to that name after running Google searches, so I wasn't certain.
kkennett

Post by kkennett »

How do I move him to does of dastardly deeds?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

PHPBB doesn't come with a convenient way to let users manage their own topics across entire forums. You'll have to copy-paste this in a new topic. I'd suggest that you copy-paste directly from the text input window; that way you won't have to go through the BBCode input rigmarole again.
Weirdlet
Site Admin

Post by Weirdlet »

Apologies, didn't get a chance to post crit, the days got crazy. Ahem.

This is a good start, but Kathar seems- very generic. His goals are too broad and aimless, and his history tells us nothing of what formed him aside from the clash of his brilliance against the mundanity of the world. I do like that while brilliant, it hasn't gotten him anywhere, which helps offset potential game-breaking/Mary-Sue potential.
kkennett

Post by kkennett »

I'm not sure I want to tip my hand to his ultimate goals. I'd like to keep that in suspense.
Weirdlet
Site Admin

Post by Weirdlet »

At the same time, that leaves him almost entirely undefined. His abilities are intelligence- but what has that intelligence gotten him, if no one will work with him? Does he intend to manipulate people, money, social pressures? Is he a Clock King or a Joker or a Bane?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Don't forget, Kurt - what we know isn't what our characters know. The template for bio entries does suggest that I'd rather we have full disclosure. That way, we can plan with and around those much-vaunted goals, instead of going "Oh, well, uh... Okay! So those are Kathar's goals, huh? Well... That completely undermines about two or three serial roleplay chapters!"

It eliminates nasty surprises and allows everyone to collaborate.

('Allo- this is Weirdlet. I have discovered that there is an 'edit' button on *everyone's* posts on my end. Leamabean, do you think we can patch this, ah, potential security breach?)