A Warlock's Heart

Completed one-shot storylines are archived here after their completion.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: A Warlock's Heart

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

The spirit parted with a thoughtful grunt. "I suppose we could work on what I'm not familiar with," he said. "All I know of the human experience beyond lust and self-pleasure is that it's sometimes wasteful. Men are unjustly remembered, others who sacrificed much are forgotten by History. Wasted flesh, thoughts and dreams. I suppose you're taught to accept it, while my kind are told to mock it."

He scoffed. "As if immortality meant prominence were unavoidable. If that were the case, I'd have lived enough to be crowned a Prince three times over."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Well, one thing we could work on is developing connections with each other on a more person level," she suggested, obviously meaning on a different level than the physical one. "While you're not a Prince, you still deserve to be remembered by at least one person. Tell me about your life."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"There isn't much life to speak of," replied the incubus, scoffing in a self-deriding manner.

"I was born in iniquity, raised in it and moulded by it. Carnal sin was all I would know for eons, while my body of the Pit grew stronger. I would sometimes speak with my older brothers and sisters, and receive training in the art of coming here - of feeding upon mortal desires. In Asmodeus' realm, however, one learns by doing."

He drew in a breath. "I have teased undying flesh, pushed pleasure beyond its ultimate threshold and reached exquisite agony. I have gorged on banquets of flesh as undying as my own, and tasted fountains of waste. Name an act of kindness, and I will have perverted it. As with all incubi and succubi, I have lain with my brothers and sisters - even the one I should call my mother. As with all others, my father's touch was reserved for the hour of my first departure, my first coming here. As we are told to scorn love and value baseless pursuits, I remember smiling as my father bore down upon me, all but tore me apart in his sacrament."

The spirit chuckled bitterly. "Kindness as a closed fist, paternal support as incest. These notions made it easy to scorn your kind for the first several generations: I was as wicked as all the others. I have dined on illicit desires, and killed those who first cried out for help. I don't know how, though, but something soon began to change in me...

I'd been told of our parentage to the Celestial Ones before, of how justified our hatred of them was. Where most others left it at that, I wanted to know why that was. I couldn't reach the Infernal City and needed centuries before I could find a body here that would allow me to research."

He scoffed amusedly. "Not only that, but there has only been research to carry out for the last ten generations of your kind. You had no written words beforehand, which made my kind's ignorance easier to live in. It wouldn't be so, once your small curves and lines etched in clay tablets began to mean something..."

The illusory noble shifted his weight on his side. "We needed a mortal invention to begin to see past our factions' beliefs. Even now, some of my kind are conspiring with Celestials, further westwards, to create a place where we would be free of division. A sanctuary away from the shores of a seemingly eternal war. They wish to build it out in the sands, where only thirsting death awaits, to limit the number of mortals who could find it."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Nanna scoffed lightly in both amusement and surprise. "It's funny how us mortals tainted the supposedly incorruptible evil demons the pity with our writings. I hope such counter actions continue to develop. I imagine you might have even greater pleasure out of conversation and having friends, at least one day," she mused. "Would you say you know what friendship is yet?"
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

The spirit appeared thoughtful.

"Friendship is..."

Such a simple notion, yet so difficult for him to describe.

"Friendship is when lust turns to the other's mind, to their presence in our life, to likeminded pursuits. A friendship consumed ends not in death or ecstasy, but in laughter and song. Jeers known only between a few minds, references shared in a small cabal. Happy secrets, or honesty almost akin to a lover's. Friendship is in the daytime silence of Alulim's farmers: they trust one another. They see no need to repeat directives."

He looked as though this had drained him, as if theorizing on mortal habits were a mentally strenuous activity his demonic intellect were only just learning to tackle.

"I've noticed it in your spawn, as well," he said. "They weave worlds together in their minds, become princes and princesses, warriors and magicians. They go out in the fields, grab sticks and old planks, and weave stories together. These worlds that exist in their minds are shaped almost as if all children were able to hear one another's thoughts."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

The old woman nodded approvingly at his explanation, understanding he at least had some idea of what the concept was. "You have a fairly solid idea of what we do and the perceived emotions that we feel when we undertake these actions. However, I can see that it's still a riddle for you, as though you were a scholar trying to ascertain some distant light in the nighttime sky. You haven't attained the understanding on a personal, emotional level yet."