To Tom

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Tom

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

What's the most recent exposure do some of your friends and allies have with the mortal realm, such as era and culture? What did you teach them from your own experiences in different bodies?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Tom

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"First of all, the issue of how I was going to socialize my fellow incubi and succubi needed to be addressed - and on the very mechanical level. I couldn't risk procuring bodies for anyone safe for my most stable and prepared of followers, but these didn't just fall out of the sky. For a long time, I had impatient and unruly friends back home who didn't have an adequate sense of progress, and who lacked enough self-control to be trusted with any mortal. The solution I found was to more or less allow a few other incubi and succubi to passively possess me and my inhabited body at any given time. Call it 'spectating life', as it were. I'd pick proper moments and a worthwhile audience, and simply allow them to soak in whatever it was I was experiencing. Talking to friends, eating, reading a book, walking, running, hunting for actual food, each and every one of my body's sensory cues - anything goes, really.

If I'd had to prepare other breeds of sentient demons, I'd have started with the mechanical aspects of the mortal plane first, then moved on to socialization. I couldn't afford that, obviously. I didn't need or want demons who could survive in mortal bodies but who would use and abuse of the first mortal they'd see. Considering, the mechanics of, well, being alive on Earth were part of my later discussion tables and spectating sessions. My initial ones focused heavily on the idiosyncrasies of Humanity, and I picked from as many eras and periods as I could. I proceeded slowly, knowing that being confronted to so many new concepts so quickly would be hard to swallow for some. Even now, I'm allowing a few pupils of mine to become acquainted with the manor's example of office life, through my own eyes. Workplace cues, common courtesies, the satisfactory aspects of exerting control over our lust, of discharging it when we see fit...

I don't broadcast my intimate moments with Aislinn, of course. These are mine and mine alone, and they all were very quick to grasp that notion - to latch onto the right to have and want private and precious sensory experiences. Don't forget that Asmodeus forces us all to share all of our experiences with the larger group, so privacy is an alien concept for most of them. What started as a hard sell became something they're extremely interested in, to the point where a few are honestly asking me when I'll stop broadcasting facets of my life as Tom Magnus. Not because they don't want it to end, but because they're interested in the sensation of solitude. Not loneliness - solitude. Being alone and enjoying it.

Considering, I never felt it would've been wise to focus on individual time periods or cultures; that would've skewed their perception of Time and Space. I want them to experience the sense of distance between my location and distant lands I once saw or that I'd like to see, the notion that Time in and of itself has to be combined with Effort, in order to produce worthwhile enjoyment. The only restriction I forced on myself was to broadcast my travels chronologically, as I lived them. Mortals have no grasp on the future and can only remember the past - and I want my brethren to feel exactly that.

I've shown them a bit of everything, and they've grown just as I have. My awkward conversation attempts while non-corporeal in Babylon, my developed confidence in Corinth and Athens, the rugged years of the Dark Ages and of the Middle Ages as a simple serf, my exhilaration in the face of the Enlightenment's social and technological liberation; my days of wealth in the Old West, and my libertine and criminal years in the Roaring Twenties - and every single time I've gone off to war or picked up a weapon or readied a spell to defend people I cared for. All the times Infernalism landed me in trouble or got me killed, every single time my empathy for mortals beat against their hatred of a species of beings they knew nothing about...

It's been a decent screening process. Those that are still with me are the same that started with me. They might not always understand why I'm so infatuated with the mortal plane, but they certainly respect it."