To Dennis

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Dennis

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Do goblins take offense to the way they're portrayed in World of Warcraft?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Dennis

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Welp, the game kinda pegs us as hyper-mercantile cultureless asshats that breed like rabbits while making Heisenberg from Breaking Bad come across as a mealy-mouthed first-time dealer... Considering, yeah, there's a few Social Justice-ish types that figured an MMO was worth crying about online. The thing is, we kinda sowed that supposedly unfair representation ourselves. We're just reaping the cultural rewards of thousands of years of wheedling, politicking, sucking-up and general unfettered greed.

I don't apologize for what I am, though. I'm a human corrupted on the arcane level, when you get down to brass tacks - with my DNA thrown out of whack and left with a severe inborn predisposition for fiddling with anything that has a shred of via. Most people don't realize it, but items that pack monetary worth tend to change hands. The law of probability being what it is, it's likely that anything worthwhile ends up in the hands of anything between a hedge mage or an Archmage at least once. In short - there's via clinging to all sorts of things, including things that'd be better used as bling, conversation starters or boasting topics.

Take paper money, for instance. A single five-dollar bill touches thousands of hands per week, when it's not sitting in an ATM's reservoir waiting to be spat out. Let's say the chances of that bill touching a practitioner of any skill level is somewhere around eighty percent per day, alright? That amounts to a lot of soaked-in power, a lot of raw potential for my Enchanting team to use. Money's money, of course, but it's also the one vector for arcane forces nobody thinks about...

So that greedy goblin from the old Germanic tales, or the modern representation in Blizzard's MMO? They're killing two birds with one stone: putting food on their plate and simultaneously feeding their handiwork. When they're practitioners themselves, or at least Enchanters. Sometimes greed is just plain old greed, after all - no pretenses or excuses needed. It's fed into parts our cultural ethos: if I'm packing rings and necktie pins out the wazoo, I'm a successful entrepreneur and enchanter. If I don't, I'm no decent dating prospect for any self-respecting goblin lass. I mean, yeah, the Normie standards are kind of whitewashing that aspect to the point where modern goblin couples don't break it off if one of the pair ends up on welfare; but there's still an element of judgment to be expected.

S'why most of us are almost proud of our credit card debts, for instance - letting the other Greenskins know we can't afford luxuries means we're inferior business partners. We don't mind having to drive Hondas or old Hyundais - we just won't have it be made public, is all. As soon as the credit rating or savings allow, we'll switch to an Audi or a Lexus.

It also explains why we get along so well with criminal organizations. In both cases, appearances are capital."