To Tom

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Tom

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Do warlocks sometimes feel the need to cleanse spaces or objects?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Tom

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"That's honestly more of a case-by-case situation, to be honest. I've seen Aislinn and Aspasia both engage in what we modern-day practitioners refer to as the LBRP, commonly known as the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. Ais uses ley-line focusing and her own Scribing practice as a foundation, while Aspasia seems to have kept a foot in with modern Folk, and base intent seems to work well enough for her. Some religions insist on the importance of blessing foods, tools or living and work spaces, and many arcane currents also do. To make a long story short, your classical LBRP involves attuning a band of via to the exact opposite charge of your space's energy, or of your object's exuded vibes. The goal is to make a space or object via-neutral, so that only those desired effects can be manifested. It avoids common parasitic effects and makes it easier to do spellwork or curse work that would happen to depend on a very specific concept or emotional state. It's also one of the first things any practitioner picks up, either on their own or as part of contemporary course-work.

Now, I'm a warlock. Things are a tiny bit different for me, seeing as warlocks are mages working with nothing if intent, nothing if willpower. We brag and boast the energies of the Universe into working with and for us, and we typically learn to channel negative forces as part of our desired craft, instead of trying to cleanse them away. If I ever needed to work a spell right after an argument with Aislinn, I wouldn't shy away from harnessing that lasting negativity to power my desired effects, whereas Aislinn would be more likely to try and ground and cleanse her work space, first.

None of this suggests I don't see the uses of a good cleanse or two, however. After long hours spent muscling the raw hatred of my Pitspawn enemies into working for myself and my allies, I'm left more than a little drained, emotionally speaking. I just don't really enjoy devoting time specifically for cleansing rituals, however, so I personally prefer to sprinkle cognitive presence and clear intent into activities that relax me. I'll use a shower's water stream to ground negative forces while scrubbing myself down, or maybe give thanks for the page-turner I'm about to curl up with, the covers draped over my legs or the feeling of my favorite pajamas against my skin. Add in a tiny bit of ground-work as my mind winds down and I tuck myself in, and I typically find all the release I need on a day-to-day basis.

To be fair, however, I'm still an incubus by birth, if only one that's now had months to grow attuned to the quiet pleasures of conjugal seduction. A few hours spent making biscuits out of Aislinn's tense back muscles or peppering her skin with slow kisses gives my now-tamed urges some measure of satisfaction - and only serves to point out how love-making likely was the first arcane cleanse primitive Mages ever stumbled upon."