To Tom

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Tom

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Since being in the mortal plane, how do you like to spend the holidays, given how it seems to be a sensory smorgasbord?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: To Tom

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I've always been the type to dose my exposures, to pick and choose which facet of the Holidays I'd primarily soak in for any given year. Mind you, in the past centuries, tapping into Christmas and the New Year's essential aspects was easier. Now, Western culture has more or less joined both days of celebration at the hip and made monsters of over-indulgence out of them.

Back in 1874, I spent the Holidays in England, focusing on carols over anything else. The next year, I remained isolated but allowed myself to decorate my residence and take in Vienna's Christmas markets. The next one had me skip on decorations and presents while attending six consecutive parties. By 1879, you could've confused me with Ebenezer Scrooge based on my attire and fairly joyless pied-à-terre, but that would've ignored the fact that I spoiled friends, associates and passing acquaintances with every scrap of generosity I could manage.

This year, I think I'll settle with a more intimate Solstice with Aislinn, with at least one workplace dinner slipped in during the week. I might have to forego shopping malls for a while, as this is where the brunt of the sensory assault I'll have to face will take place - but online deliveries are a handy solution to that problem. Otherwise, neither Aislinn or myself seem to be the type to overdo concepts such as decorations or atmosphere: the McConmaras have a few Orcadian Yuletime baubles they've passed around for a few generations, and I like to settle with wreathed pine boughs as table centers and a handful of rich, dark red apples. A little magic, and you have little arcane decorations that won't spoil anytime soon, while still remaining safe to eat. I'll keep a few thoughts out for the druids of old and I'll look to the night sky on Christmas night, to see if I can't track Inanna's star and pay respects to the gods worshipped by the first people I ever fell for...

Add a crackling fire, homemade eggnog with brandy and cream and being able to doze off while gazing at the city's Downtown lights, and that'll more than suffice for me. I'll have something planned for Aislinn to sate my last few remaining devilish streaks, and I'll never be so crass as to expect of Aislinn that she find something for me..."