To Nereus and Rendell

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

To Nereus and Rendell

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Have you two met? And if so, what did you think of each other?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Nereus

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"We haven't met, thankfully. Chambers would love it if I could enthrall Rendell on-camera over a few progressive sessions of Renewal's fairly touchy-feely take on psychotherapy, but I have my reservations. We've debated on it several times before, already.

I'm concerned his nanite population could react poorly to the Black Speech, however diluted it might be once I use it as part of my usual approach. I'm aware that most Chimeras have a psychological insurance policy of sorts in the form of these nanomachines, unless they've been on Earth for long enough so as to skip the usual infusion cycles. For most of them, this is guaranteeing that Rendell's indoctrination holds against at least one concentrated attack. These tiny machines of theirs would undo any neural scars or erroneous paths any use of the Black Speech could trigger. To successfully enthrall a Paradise Chimera, you'd have to do the job twice, in quick succession.

Rendell's case is different, however. Any terrestrial therapist could agree he already displays severe problems. These problems were, unfortunately, part of the nanite payload Isaacs infused him with. Just as Earth's added contingent of 'bots is keeping him alive despite his attempts to commit suicide, that native population of his in his is hiding in the brain case's fluid, just waiting for an outside influence to patch up any aggressive changes to his brain's structure or chemistry. If these nanites are programmed to shore up deviant behavior along the lines of extreme narcissism and megalomania, I can't imagine what could arise out of my adding onto these issues!

On the other hand, I'm sometimes reminded of the myth of Narcissus proper - and of how harmless Rendell would become if he were made to literally fall in love with himself... Granted, I know the man already packs a troubling amount of self-infatuation, but what if that debased pride were pushed past the edge?

Imagine how peaceful the world would be, without Elysium's mouthpiece. Imagine its wardens no longer being afraid of him, seeing as someone with my skills and more freedom to act would have reduced him to a blissful and grinning fool, too preoccupied with the sound of his own voice or his reflection in the mirror to so much as bother to scheme, to reach out or to somehow influence the rest of us..."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Rendell

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Ah, the fattest of all spiders, come to lecture me from the other side of the bars of his golden cage...

Not that I'm bothered, honestly. You, mister Thanos, seem a trifle unwilling to act in accordance with your own conspiracy's motives. Or is it mister Marinos? Forgive my confusion, aliases sometimes come together into a fair bit of a tangle - you have one name for your distant love, another for your paying cronies; just as I have one face to the Muslim fundamentalists and another to the Christian militiamen I keep stoked across middle America. I have a man with the Southern Fae, several across Hope and Walpurgis - and one in Dalarath.

Yes - isn't filthy lucre wonderful? Expose one of your kind to the wonders of our world, glut him with luxury, and Amaxi's song soon fades away like all the nonsense it ever was. As far as the resulting decrepit state is concerned, what enables my dear Aspasia and myself also enables him, now.

So honestly, your little charade might have lasted centuries, I've yet to see anything impressive in your accompanying zealot's attempts to deal with your would-be saviors. That last bout in front of Miles' and Ingram's gamestore was incompetent at best - the proper course would have been to eavesdrop and collect information, all the better to reorient your plans as required. Now you've only succeeded in enabling your white-clad apostates and in adding a wildcard to the deck - one half of which will only see his loyalties to the group as having been bolstered. The bookish pachyderm will not come to you willingly - I do hope you're aware of that.

To you, mister Thanos, I bid a fond farewell, knowing that freedom is sure to make our future encounters rather savory... As to the mouse that is constantly eavesdropping on you..."

He sighs.

"Christopher, Christopher, Christopher... Oh, dear boy; it takes one traitor to recognize another, and I see no love in your future - especially none of the Eldritch variety. Your dead goddess lost Her wits some untold eons ago; and now She stamps Her feet and wags Her fists like an idiot child...

Amaxi is a lesser tactician - beneath even your contempt, if you knew to part from your vows. As it stands, I extend a gentleman's agreement: when the time will come, either myself or one of my men will stand by Shield's side as you will fall. By my hand, your end would be painless. By theirs, however, and especially Meris'? Oh, how will you suffer.

Granted, those I spare get to watch - and you will watch as I will carry Rhode Island's do-gooders to heights of infamy atop the backs of your resisting Loyalists."