To Dafyd Jones

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Dafyd Jones

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Okay, real talk. I'm not an American constituent and you're a fictitious future US President. 

How are you typically received in the Southern States?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Dafyd Jones

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I understand you're writing this in the aftermath of difficult events, and that as someone with some geographical distance from them, you also have your own forms of sociopolitical tensions to contend with. What I can safely say is that the America I live in is strong, diverse and largely at peace with itself. Granted, the same can't be said for every county or every town.

In our reality, Elysium gave the United States an unexpected boon, in 1975: they showed us the value of unity, the strength and nobility at the heart of all inclusive efforts. Leaders who seek enemies and who glorify their own accomplishments can't possibly claim to offer a common ground to those they were elected to represent. Observe the world intently enough, and you realize that Humanity's greatest accomplishments were carried out by groups of people, and very rarely by singular individuals. Mozart might have composed his own masterpieces, but they'd lie silently in a musty fakebook if it weren't for all the orchestras who took to these notes across the centuries. A maestro is nothing without his flutists, drummers, cellists or cymbal players. Even the measly triangle player, who's so often the object of ridicule, contributes to the whole of the desired orchestral composition.

I'm well aware that there's certain money-lenders of various age groups or metahuman origins who would rather see long-lived individuals like me stick to the shadows. Their contributors and constituents see anyone who isn't human or anthro in origin as a sort of blight upon the workforce, and some even go so far as to shake the old specters of species-based racism. To some of them, you aren't American if you aren't a White mundane human male. The irony of that statement is that they're hobbling the economy and our defense program for the sake of ideals of racial purity. Reducing the workforce to one-sixth of almost four hundred million individuals wouldn't be sustainable, for one, while society's larger in-groups would keep rejecting propositions based in Eugenics or racial discourse.

The end result is isolation, stagnation and death. Not for the groups they so violently oppose - but for themselves. The more of our infrastructure they reject or seek to damage, the more they're hurting themselves.

Of course, this isn't a problem to these creditors I spoke of. They're old, sometimes ageless, and can lean on thousands of years of affluence to whisper lies on airwaves and talk shows. Their partisans are enslaved or enthralled, and they don't so much as realize it. Some cheered the Southern Seelie Court's decision to offer honorary Knighthoods to the Koch brothers' surviving board of directors and investor panels, while London's political observers were quick to warn Washington, back in 2019: we were seeing the emergence of a supernatural oligarchy. Businesses invested in by hands that wouldn't move or shift for centuries on end, controlling everything from local employment opportunities to common discourse in public forums. Previous attempts at political upheaval and secession were made, those which Archibald Holden historically thwarted. The one difference is that these agitators now have access to talk radios, church pews, public broadcasting services and the World Wide Web to further reach and influence millions of constituents - millions of people they can infect with fear and bigotry towards their fellow man.

Truth be told, I sometimes feel like abdicating before these powers which I obviously refuse to name - as doing so would give them credit - if only in order to extend a helping hand to all refugees seeking a way back into these United States I so deeply believe in. Drained of its talent, of its life, vibrancy and culture; the South would then wither away and inexorably fall by the hands of freedmen for a new age. We would finally drive these false princes back to the lands they fled and the scorn they've avoided for centuries - and reclaim those storied lands in order to write better chapters of our history."