To Lucian

Grab yourself a seat, start a fire and poke one of our resident vigilantes, average Joes or supervillains as much as you'd like.

An in-character advice board/in-character discussion space, this forum doesn't require or allow the use of sock puppet accounts. Simply edit the topic title for each in-character reply as "As [insert character name here]".
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

To Lucian

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

You're technically outside Earth's normally evolved species, so I have to wonder: how do Void Weavers process information? How does the Black Speech affect more normal processing tasks?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

As Lucian

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I've asked myself these same questions from as early on as Freud and Jung's first glimpses of academic popularity, and have done what I can in order to nurture and tap into those elements of my family with interest in neurology and psychology. I've even gone through a few CAT-scans for the cause. The results were surprising, to be honest.

All Void Weavers are apparently synaesthetic thinkers. By this, I mean that we see mental patterns or hear numbers. Areas of the brain that would be kept separate in healthy humans, anthros - or even Karthians - seem to converge in those of my kind. If Einstein defined Relativity as being the science of the topography of Physics, then it seems to me as though the Architect imbued us with the ability to perceive this topography in visual, auditive and tactile means... I can't quite explain it in anything resembling the King's English, but it feels as though I've always had the opportunity to choose to see the variables and integers of Creation, if I so much as open my mind to them. When I write the simplest of sentences in the Black Script, I find myself imbuing the very nature of the concept I am describing into the shapes of each character used. This explains my native idiom's lethal levels of complexity, as the slightest curl of the sentence's end-point - the smallest extra dot on the page - can change a sentence declaring my love of a good pipe into a statement of intent regarding the page's overall thermodynamics. 

I can see every variable and can compute them all individually and collectively; thereby parsing all of the container data, all of the junk information that confers lethality to the Black Speech - and reach the occult nugget of sense hidden at the heart of it. A page of the Black Script is a cacophony of sounds, colors, textures, foreign emotional states and even raw quantum data - and somehow, I and all other Void Weavers are able to unravel each symbol, each sentence, and reach the desired sense at its heart.

On the human level, odds are I would pass for a savant. I have never computed mathematical data the way you would, for instance. Instead, I react to any sighting of numbers with suddenly-heard musical tones and flitting, moth-like flickers across my field of vision. Give me a few seconds, and the solution for any applicable equation surfaces out of this lambent soup of numerical noodles. The chimes sort themselves out, and the clear harmony of the problem's obvious solution quietly rings in my ears. I was told Nereus perceived numbers as tastes, with correct solutions to any equation somehow tasting right. I've never needed to memorize the deeper principles of arithmetics or algebra; my slaveowner's ledgers in Dalarath were kept to the light of cave bugs only I could see, to tiny bells, chimes and plucks of nonexistent harps singing allotted sums, discordance eliminated by the realization that I suddenly was hearing something balanced and perfect.

In some sense, you could argue Nereus and I were predisposed to value peace. Successful research with Meris always tasted of the finest oyster brine for Nereus, whereas my illicitly happy evenings spent with my family have always filled my heart with a song I both intimately know, and would forever fail to adequately describe or put to a page...

I can hear perfection, and Nereus might taste it; describing it truthfully remains impossible. Even for those of my kind."