A Warlock's Heart

Completed one-shot storylines are archived here after their completion.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: A Warlock's Heart

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"That may be so," replied the shade, still sounding rather amused, "but I have time. More than you do, in fact."

Casually, the form raised the well's bucket and picked up the ladle that was chained to the rim of the well, using it to bring about a cup or so of the transparent liquid to its lips. It drank, clearly savoring the liquid.

"It's like I said," he mentioned, giving her an oblique look. "I like to get to know the mortals I ravage. It allows me to personalize the experience. Make it memorable, as it were. If I can't stir your base impulses, I'll just have to pull on the... nobler parts of your nature."

Another sip. "Your ward, Akka. You took him in when his mother died in childbirth. You love him, as any grandmother would her grandson - but he infuriates you as well, doesn't he? He frightens cows for fun, throws rocks at your chickens, smashes some of your precious eggs... His is a bored mind, unfortunately, clearly born in the wrong time."

The wispy head looked around. "Not that there is much to entertain oneself here - or learn. You've still got a ways to go before your cities can keep Nature at bay."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"The boy doesn't understand the pain he brings to the animals or to me. He doesn't empathize," Aislinn as Nanna summarized, then sighing. The elderly woman looked over at the demon seated on the well and quirked an eyebrow. "Here's a question, demon; what would you do to keep such a child as Akka entertained? And the stipulation would be that you couldn't teach him any of your wiles over mortals. Tell me that," she queried.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Oh, you wouldn't like my answer," replied the spirit, whose posture briefly suggested dark amusement.

"I wouldn't hurt him, but I'd introduce him to pain through circumstances of his own making. Having never substantially tasted of failure, he's like any mortal whelp in thinking death won't wait for him."

The shade raised a hand. "Nothing too dramatic, though. Bruises and cuts, most likely, maybe a good fright at the hand of the village buck. Failure matters more here than death or injury. Considering, I'd also allow one of your fellow villagers to stick him on shepherding duties a few weeks earlier than expected."

He dangled a foot over the well's rim. "I'll admit considering this is... strange. My own progenitor scarcely taught me anything."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Then, you have an inkling at what mortal parents have to think on. Children have to fail sometimes, if they manage to make it to adulthood, before they can succeed. While I don't wish pain on Akka, those would all be learning experiences," Old Lady Aislinn admitted, then appearing thoughtful at his last comment. "In some ways, you still seem like a child, despite all your worldliness, incubus." Her tone wasn't demeaning, merely observant.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I am a demon," replied the dark shade, "I was told I would never need to take anything out of your world, on the day I was made. That there would be nothing for me to learn here that my father couldn't teach me. I've known he was wrong for several of your generations, now. That makes me... unpopular in my father's estate; even if what I've learned makes me more effective at my task."

He shrugged. "What mortals desire is counted in more realms than flesh alone. To Enlil the cheesemaker, I gave dreams of fields of clover and fattened cows. Seasons' worth of fresh milk. To Akka, I gave boyhood fancies. Grand tales of a warrior's deeds and fame spreading empire-wide. To Lilitu the sterile midwife, I gave dreams of a future. Children to be hers, the world over. Feeding on contentment is easier than forcing your minds to contemplate my own crippling desires. All the same, that is what is expected of me."

He looked back to Nanna. "You, Nanna, seemed deserving of some respite. I thought it sad that you had reached your twilight without bonding with someone. Kindness isn't mine to give, but I can offer its exact semblance - until I find a way to learn kindness that wouldn't have me or my closest brethren detained in the Pit."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Nanna smiled at him, it tinged slightly with bitterness. "I appreciate your thoughtfulness, demon. However, when I would wake from my dream, I would have no lover or spouse. I would still be alone. For the others, their dreams might have some possibility of happening. Akka might grow one day to become a great warrior. Lilitu might be blessed by the gods and have her own children. Enlil might one day have a whole pasture of cows heavy with milk, with which he can make the finest cheeses. For me, though, I am destined to be alone, unless some magnanimous person will love me even with my crickety joints and heavy wrinkles," she said with a scoff and a laugh.

"Thank you, however, for your well-meaning illusions. I know you do what you can with what you have," she responded. "The only ones I love here are my neighbors and friends."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

The glowing eyes narrowed in a feline manner, indicating interest more than shiftiness. "Shame; but I've seen enough to believe I can understand. You want what I can offer to be meaningful, when I have no concrete idea as to how I could attach meaning to it."

The eyes narrowed again, this time indicating interrogation. "Why is it that elderly mortals want to grasp these notions so much more than the others?"
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Aislinn-as-Nanna was quiet for a few moments as she thought on this matter and then responded, "I suppose it might have something to do with the limited time that elderly folk have. I can't speak for all older people, but a strong love, something that's selfless and deep, has substance. That person you share it with is with you through whatever hardships come your way. Even if there are no children produced from a union, you know that special someone cares. They won't be focused on your appearance or even skill in bed, but there's an attraction that binds you together."

The old midwife sighed. "Many of our marriages are merely business contracts. Which prospective groom can offer the most to purchase the bride from the father, but there are relationships that hold something meaningful. Even with all the words in existence, even I can't describe it entirely. It's something you feel in you, more than physical ecstasy or the most sensual of kisses."

She glanced at him. "With love, old age doesn't matter. It's almost like an instinct that you want to be with this person, protect them, and give your all. I know this is likely a very complex and confusing concept, but it is of worth. As you age, you want to know someone who makes you feel that you matter, regardless of the life you lived."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

The concept's complexity wasn't lost on the incubus, whose sustained gaze suggested careful deliberation.

"This is something I could never offer to anyone."

That seemed to trouble him.

He turned his head towards the horizon, and sighed. "The day draws near, wise Nanna," he said, and seemed to hesitate for a few seconds. When he looked back at her, it was with an expression of more earnest need than desire, burning curiosity more than carnal interest.

"Will you welcome me across your threshold, in the following nights? I've no desire to disturb you, but I would very much like to learn more. If you wake, then we might speak. If you don't, then I will stay and keep watch over you and yours until dawn. I can always draw sustenance from others."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"You are welcome in my home, demon, as the burning flame of knowledge is pulling you in an unknown direction," observed the old woman, smiling at him. "And things that are unknown can be a good thing. I shall see you in the next nights."