Date Interrupted

Completed one-shot storylines are archived here after their completion.
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Re: Date Interrupted

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Sure." Before getting too far from her residence, Sophia returned inside and found the requested items in the bathroom and a kitchen drawer. She then returned outside and gave the flashlight and tweezers to the incubus. As she did, the dryad frowned. "I should've paid attention as well, Tom. I'm something of a genus loci, yet I didn't notice the thief," she said with a sigh.

"Perhaps it's because the perp isn't physically human?" suggested Ciaran.

"Maybe. Finding his trail will help determine what the person is," she replied.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

After inspecting the trampled area of grass near the window and pushing the occasional small half-frozen frond aside with the tweezers, he carefully illuminated what appeared to be a single, tiny bead of dark and viscous oil. Carefully transferring it on top of the tweezers' tips, the Infernalist chanced a few careful sniffs, only to grunt in frustration.

"There's nothing arcane on there, but this at least tells us a Clank paid us a visit. We'd need a Forensics lab and oil samples to at least find out our perp's make and model - but that's a sizable snag..."

Sighing, he stood up. "Melmoth's pin would get me inside the HPD's central precinct, but my thumbprints are still Thomas Quint's. They'll have revoked his access to the Forensics labs long before his death; and neither of you are Forensics technicians either. There's that, plus the fact that I don't want to risk seducing higher-ups in the police - I doubt Mayor Doherty even knows of my existence as part of Holden Hall's roster. The last thing he needs is a sex scandal close to the city morgue..."

He gave the tweezers a thoughtful look, his free hand on his hips. "I need either the best Veil in the business, or the best thief in town... Are you still on good terms with Nigel Griffin, Sophia?"
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Yes, of course he and I are still on good terms. He could give us a hand, but Ciaran could as well. He has the ability to turn invisible, so he might be able to aid Nigel," Sophia answered, fishing out her cellphone and dialing his number he had given her.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Good," replied the warthog, who seemed relieved. Looking back to Ciaran, he chose to explain himself. 

"I'm hedging my bets here, but I think Nigel might still have polymer casts of a few of the HPD's captains' and other higher-ups' thumbprints. My mostly clawlike fingernails would give the adhesive a good run, so I'm hoping you could have one fake thumbprint glued into place long enough to fool the central precinct's cameras and let us in."

As for Nigel, he'd never entirely lost his night-owl tendencies, a natural asset for most career thieves. Sophia's call would connect to the sound of sneakers beating a treadmill's whispering surface and a nonagenarian breath being huffed out a few times before concrete words could be produced.

"Griffin speaking," said Nigel, sounding only slightly winded. As per usual, he still packed the same pleasant demeanor as ever. It felt as though you'd have to get up seriously early to piss off the local invisible man...
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Hello Nigel, it's Sophia. I'm sorry for having to call you at this time of night, but I'm in need of your skills," the dryad explained, then giving a brief explanation of what had happened to Tom's staff. "We need to sneak into HPD to find said automaton's make and model, as we can't exactly have Tom in Quint's body wandering around the forensics lab without raising some eyebrows."

Meanwhile, Ciaran nodded in agreement. "I think your idea should work, as long as we get all of our metaphorical ducks in a row," he said.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Griffin had done his own sleuthing about over the last few months, Sophia's succinct explanation of Tom's plight confirming his research. He hadn't ever met Tom on a personal basis, but his old cat burglar habits made him feel as though he had. The dryad wouldn't hear much more than pensive huffs and the sound of sneakers still beating a treadmill's surface, but Nigel only seemed to need a few seconds extra before stopping to present his offer.

"I'd rather I shouldered any potential investigation on the HPD's side rather than you or mister McConmara, Sophia. I know Central has a few captains ready to throw Team Holden a few commendation parties; but you also have a good few naysayers who think your friends are a drain on the municipal budget. These dolts would react more favorably if it looked like I circumvented Central's security. I'm a glorified thief, after all. They'd expect me breaking in to play Forensic Scientist with the department's toys far more than they would Quint's reanimated corpse."

He sighed, shaking off the last of his jogger's exhaustion. "Meet me downtown, by Greene Square, in twenty minutes. I'll have a few toys ready for the boys - and something to hide you with. The last thing I want to see in the paper tomorrow morning is your pretty face in a holding cell."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"All right, see you in twenty, Nigel," Sophia replied, hanging up. She looked to her date and the incubus. "NIgel's going to meet us at Greene Square in twenty minutes. He said he prefers to take on the brunt of the investigation, and he mentioned he has some useful tools to use," she said, heading in the direction of where Ciaran had parked his truck.

Sliding into the driver's seat, Ciaran glanced at the dryad, smirking despite the somewhat dire events of the night. "I have to admit that this is the strangest date I've ever been on," he joked lightly.

She scoffed, smiling lightly. "Well, it'll certainly be one to remember. Not boring at all."