A Light in the Darkness

Completed one-shot storylines are archived here after their completion.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: A Light in the Darkness

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

D'Aubignier seemed to be the one with the most technical know-how, while Holden was the required politician. The Guildmate went over their blueprints with the sort of speed centuries spent studying documents under pressure could provide, making it seem like he was glancing across the pages when he honestly was taking everything into account.

"Well, this is only after some twenty minutes spent with these," he said, briefly glancing at his watch, "but I'd say this is mostly above-board. I've seen a few inconsistencies in your planned lot structures, but it's my understanding, Nereus, that you've never really had to take to urban development studies before.
- That's correct," admitted Nereus. "I've established myself as an architect as of the past year, but this is after centuries spent wandering across the surface. The less is said of the years I spent as a Spiritualist guru, the better... Prior to all this, I was the Augur of Dalarath. Houses were built within walking distance to the slave pens and the docks, each neighbourhood had its Word House and its Arbiter barracks, and-"

Matthias was still looking at the documents and stopped the Void Weaver with a small gesture. "-and your palace overlooked the city while facing the opposite hill the Lord Houses occupied. I've studied those documents the Rothchilds managed to transliterate from the Black Speech. Their breakdown of your old social structures was surprisingly thorough.
- But this still is my first urban development project," finished the Squid.

Matthias tsked. "I can see that, you've placed factory campuses close to the inner beachfronts. I would have worked while keeping a more consistent eye on potential land values; but you've obviously made efforts on the environmental level. I trust this can still be revised?
- I've mobilized funds and working crews, but nothing's begun except for base survey operations."

Holden took a moment to lightly tap on his tablet with a stylus. "I've looked over the project's finances. Mister Kuhn and the Rothchilds are providing you with the starting basis of two billion dollars, the lot of which's been split between NPO's in order to finance both the construction and the structural and environmental surveys. In regards to the construction, however, I see you've snubbed a number of proposals made by a number of eminent firms that have prestigious projects on record. Dubai, several contracts in Antarctica, Sector 4 in Paradise..."

Nereus nodded. "That's because Void Weavers will ply their gifts to raise the Earth's crust with their will alone. This should cut back on carbon monoxide emissions and reduce the project's ETA from several decades to a few years."

Forsythe grunted. "I'm not sure Greece's Ministry of Finance will appreciate knowing that you're willing to deprive local workers of a sizable employment opportunity...
- But they'll all have ample opportunity to work in New Dalarath as soon as we'll need to focus on landscaping and fine-tuning!" protested the former Augur.

"Be that as it may," added the mouse, "will your crews work fast enough to prevent potential tensions from rising?"

Nereus' tentacles were twitching in annoyance. "The only expenses I've set for the Terraformation crew involves temporary lodgings on barges and enough food to last for the construction phase. If you're under the impression that we'll change air molecules into gold and wave insolently easy wealth in the face of the locals, you're mistaken."

The mouse's look didn't change. In response, Nereus gestured with a hand and his tendrils, the air shimmering atop the conference table, until golden motes came into being. These grew closer, forming into clumps of the same golden hue - until a fist-sized lump of gold lightly fell to the table's surface with a little clunk.

"There," said Nereus. "That is the only chunk of gold you'll see me or anyone of my species conjure into being during this project. If you'll make the effort to read a little deeper into the accompanying documents, you'll find that I've outsourced Security and that I've planned for the potential eventuality of one of my people choosing to ride a gravy train while the rest of us will be doing our best to keep what's eventually going to be an abortive volcano behaving the way we need it to.

For God's sake, man - I've spent centuries pining for this selkie," he said, pointing to Meris. "I've married her! I'm not superior to her, I'm simply different. My people should have the right to work as would come naturally to them, while agreeing to give the surrounding mortal populaces as many opportunities to profit from our own endeavors as possible!"

The mouse merely looked at Nereus, while the Squid was staring daggers at the mouse.

"Good," then added Forsythe. "I suspect Aldergard probed your convictions before we came in, but I needed to see for myself."

Anger gave way to confusion on the Squid's face. "I'm sorry... What?!
- I've spent centuries making others angry," explained Forsythe, "because anger lets someone's honest causes and convictions shine through. Honest enemies are of more use to me than duplicitous friends. In some cases, casual claims and deep convictions align. That seems to have been the case."

The ghost of a smile played behind the moustache. "I needed to see the man behind the dragon, vampire and selkie fanboy."

Anger flashed in Nereus' eyes again, but he forced a smile on his face and gripped Meris' hand for support. In the meantime, Matthias looked somewhat confused and unsure on how to process what had just happened, while Aldergard hadn't shifted from his pensive looks. If he'd disapproved of Holden's approach, he didn't mention it.
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Meris squeezed Nereus's hand and offered him a gently smile, then looking back to the anthro mouse with a more sober expression. "I understand why you pulled that tactic, Mr. Holden. Only when we display our most passionate emotions can someone really see the truest sincerity in a person's heart. I can also assure that I am an equal partner with Nereus; we have been this way since we started admiring each other for our respective intellects," she acknowledged. "My husband has the most upright of intentions for this project. It will not be easy, but I believe it will benefit the citizens of Greece as well as the Void Weavers."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Of course," flatly replied Forsythe. "You've long since been understood to be the ideological spearhead behind the project, madame. Or should I call you Mrs. Thanos, now?"

Nereus kept up his efforts to remain civil. "I didn't force her to abandon her maiden name, mister Holden. For most of the world, she's Meris of the Orcades, Meris McConmara to those closest to us. As for myself, I've parted ways with my former identity. Frankly, it had been imposed on me by my Chamberlain. As soon as I'll have been able to legalize my status, I intend to live as Nereus Marinos.
- So I take it she's Mrs. Marinos, now?
- That's for her to decide," replied Nereus, who again seemed to not entirely appreciate where the conversation was going.

"Please understand," continued the mouse, who kept his eyes squarely on Meris', "I've heard of your spouse's species and its frightening gifts. Being able to degrade someone's free will and sanity through the use of a few sentences must come in fairly handy during a marriage, hm?"

That seemed to be too much for Nereus to bear, who immediately stood up. "How dare you insinuate that I would do such a thing to the woman I renounced all my powers for?!
- True, that you did, mister Marinos, but you were also reinstated in a position of power by the intercession of the extra-planar entity known as the Architect; a being neither Heaven or Hell have been able to quantify... The Black Speech hasn't exactly left you, last I checked."

Nereus' eyes darkened, but he sat down again. "You're correct, it hasn't left me. I don't care how handy provoking us happens to be, I won't mind showing you how deadly a Void Weaver's sense of chivalry can be. I am deeply indebted to my wife; I suggest you refrain from testing just how deeply."

Silence fell for a second, Forsythe stroking his moustache thoughtfully as he prepared his next salvo.

"All the same," he then asked, again targeting Meris, "what proof do you have that he hasn't simply dulled your heart and mind to potential ulterior motives? After all, this is a man who had you sold into slavery and who purchased you... What proof do you have that your mind is still your own?"

Nereus didn't add anything, but he looked absolutely furious. The glass of water that had been set on the table in front of him was lightly shaking, the Squid's anger perhaps causing him to unconsciously reach out and alter the composition of inert chemicals. Bubbles soon formed in the water, obvious signs that Nereus was angry enough to bring neighbouring water to the boiling point.
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

The archmage sighed and swiveled her downward-facing hands to where her palms were showing. "The only real proof you have is my word, Mr. Holden. Nereus has never subdued me with the Black Speech, I swear. Even though our only connection was initially master and slave, our relationship changed. I love and support my husband greatly; we work together as partners for the future of surface dwellers and Void Weavers. I have made personal sacrifices so that others won't have to face slavery, and their world will continue to exist as it is."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Have others mentioned Stockholm Syndrome, when your back was turned? I believe that-"

Forsythe was cut short by the sharp rapping of Aldergard's cane hitting the ground. "Your point has been made, Herr Holden," moderated the dragon. "I can supply proof, if you will. The proof of my nose. I smell fear on other species, and smell it well enough to know who is afraid of who."

He paused. "You, my friend, are afraid of me."

It was the mouse's turn to look outraged, fangs slightly protruding from behind the facial hair design. He started to reply, but Aldergard cut through his words once more. "You are angry. Threatened. Think on that word, mein Herr. Think long and hard. The distance between our seats, my silence, my posture... I know you can feel my disapproval."

Holden fell silent and, conversely, Aldergard smirked lightly behind his steepled fingers.

"Be at peace, Meris. I smell no fear in you, especially none toward your husband. The Secretary General's love of precise answers will have to wait."

The mouse looked miffed, as though he wasn't about to try and apologize. Matthias, on the other hand, sent a glare at his colleague and a more apologetic look towards the couple. "If your intentions are as genuine as it seems, then I'll humbly confess that the Vienna Council has been running background checks. The project holds, except for these small inconsistencies we've mentioned, and the Promethean Order has vindicated you, mister Marinos. You're undoubtedly aware that integration procedures have already begun for those you called Abominations, in the past. At the very least, for those that followed monsieur Gammell's cause."

That mention triggered both the set of memories the Darkhallow required to remain coherent, as well as a sudden burst of intense curiosity in Nereus. Abominations, organized and capable of fending for themselves? The concept was strange to him, but it seemed fair once his and Meris' goals were considered. He realized this future of their included his having solemnly vowed never to create another indentured servant or to play with the biosphere in ignorance of the surface world's Ethics laws, and to instead bring reparations and support in whatever form he could produce.

Past that train of thought, he allowed himself a moment to project a hypothetical Abomination's life past the painful ten or so days they usually lasted. What happened if you were as malformed as they tended to be, yet still desired to lead some semblance of a normal life? How difficult would a daily routine prove to be, if some of your vital senses or organs were only supernatural in nature?
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

That was the first time she had heard Gammell's name and tucked that in the back of her mind. "Abominations should have the same rights to live as everyone else does, as long as they choose to live in a benign and functional manner," she stated. "Dryads have the same peace and ability to be contributing members of society, don't they? They're originally made with the purpose of looking after nexuses, but they still get to have their own lives."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Of course," agreed Forsythe, "but then again, most dryads aren't made out of molecular configurations or genetic designs that modern science still hasn't fully come to grips with. Some Drifters are forced to eat genetically modified foods to compensate for their inability to digest Terran produce, and I suspect many a Weaver's creation would have the same problems. You're probably aware of the unique challenges most Prometheans will face."

Matthias nodded. "Yes, they'll certainly need guidance and assistance. Increased security, as well. My Kenning tends not to overstep the boundaries of Ethics, but some of my colleagues aren't so lucky. Even then, many mortal researchers wouldn't be willing to turn a blind eye to the origin of new protein strands purported to have medical properties worthy of further study."

Nereus shrugged. "Then we'll have to let Gammell offer to make biological screenings a voluntary process. I'm not about to start legislating matters that aren't my own. George's creator died at Meris' hands over a hundred years ago, and that contract placed her on a collision course with him. As inhuman as he may be, she's had plenty of occasions to react to skin flakes or errant droplets of sweat or saliva."

He looked back to Meris. "I think you would've told me about George being a walking allergen or a biological threat long before today, if that had been the case."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Meris nodded. "Of course, I would. George merely wants to be part of our society; that's all. His loyalty changed due to his exposure to humanity. That is something all lifeforms share in common with each other. The more we are around each other and learn to and accept our differences and similarities, the more we can learn together in peace," she commented.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"I'd still like to ask, however, what the mainstream among you happen to know about this Architect," queried Holden. "I'd like to know if we're dealing with an organized religion, a new cult or... something else."

Nereus looked indecisive. "The only definitive authority on the being my people used to call the Maker of Apostates was Delmar, a member of the Lord Houses and a formerly potential candidate for Augurship that disappeared several thousand years ago. Based on the Arbiter records, Delmar simply left his mansion grounds and was never seen again, not even in the Darkhallow. With Dalarath being connected to other, smaller caverns, it stands to reason he gathered like-minded individuals and went into exile.

As far as the lore is considered, Delmar found a corner of the Darkhallow that stood in complete opposition with the remainder of my people's patrons. It was a place of order and peace, stretching back to the mythical Surface Times. Of course, with George's involvement and Lucian's findings, it does seem increasingly likely that my people were once peaceful, before one of our earliest Prelates journeyed too far into our dreamlands and made contact with the Others.
- I understand you cannot quite go into detail without risking my sanity or mister d'Aubignier's, but what can you tell me of the Others on a concrete level?"

Nereus pursed his tendrils together. "Hm. Imagine a mangy dog that's been chained to a solid concrete wall. The dog is an old principle of Creation, and new ones are birthing all across its surface. New universes are cannibalizing its own potential, and it's sentient enough to realize it's being attacked. The ticks of the new gods are driving it mad with pain and rage, so it does the only thing it possibly can do. It attacks them.

The one difference is the Others aren't as limited as dogs are. They're likely to use deception, seduction or even perverse forms of logic to drive their followers into continued servitude. Their avowed objective is the extinction of all life in all possible universes, safe for Their own.
- Is there a way for us to stop cannibalizing Them, as you've said? Soothe the pain and you quell the anger, I'd assume."

Nereus nodded in the negative. "There isn't. Just as this universe is using a finite quantity of energy and matter, my people have understood enough to grasp that the same principle extends to the theoretical Multiverse. All potentials share the same bedrock of energy, movement and matter. The only way for us to stop harming the Others would be for the Universe as we know it to cease to exist."

He scoffed lightly. "I've gathered enough to suspect that's a bad thing."

Forsythe seemed to take this into account. "I assume you intend to share your people's findings with the world's physicists, then?
- Yes, of course. As soon as our application into the Vienna Accords' signatories is accepted."

There was a brief pause. "And what about the Architect?" asked Matthias. "Isn't he being harmed by our presence, like the rest of his brethren?
- Yes," agreed the former Augur, "but we lack the research to support this claim. The Rothchild Foundation has funded its lot of physicists, mathematicians and philosophers over the centuries, and the best that we can offer would be that the Architect is a parent deity. This universe's Creator, the one we've taken to calling anything between God, Yahweh, Gilgamesh or, well, - take your pick, honestly - is still in the process of being supported by another entity. We suspect the Architect gave of itself to start God's project and is still coaching Him in matters related to the deeper end-processes of Physics."

Forsythe nodded. "So God is... a child?"

Nereus scoffed. "More like a college freshman, I'd say. He's gathered the ins and outs of Creation and managed to put together supporting instances - the External Planes, in this case - and managed to create biodiversity and universe-wide homeostasis; but string theory posits that there are still reams of potential material He hasn't tampered with. He's mastered fixed points in space, length, width and depth along with Time and Space, but there seems to still be somewhere between nine or eight smaller dimensions that never amounted to much. Based on texts related to Delmar's exile, we suspect that the Architect can work on deeper levels than God Himself can; without interfering with Creation.

To put it simply, the Architect does exactly what the Others are doing, but he does it better. With finer levels of control, in a sense. This explains Gammell's gift of ubiquity as well as how it manages to avoid breaking the spacetime continuum. When an Abomination created by Dar-Larath blinks between two points in space, my people can feel the fabric of reality straining in response to that. We can feel the Universe's pain. When Gammell does it, nothing happens. The Architect's managed to somehow... persuade our Universe that a single person can exist in several different locations at the same time."

Forsythe looked baffled, while Matthias seemed amazed. "So this isn't a cult or a religion - it's a seamless integration of Science and some of the broader tenets of our creation myths into one another!"

Nereus nodded. "It isn't my intention to discredit anyone with wholly Creationist or Atheist beliefs, but Science and Religion both hold the keys to our universe's potential. Why else would angels actually exist? Why else would Gabriel have signed the Accords, following the Battle of Hope?"
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

"Religion and science have always been meant to complement the other, not rip each other apart. Mr. Gammell is like a physical truce between the Architect and God to overthrow the Others and banish Them. While his main reason for existing is to keep the Others at bay, he merely wants to live his life. He is the the one with the closest connection, besides Delmar, to the Architect and only wants to live his life, as stated. There is no cult or religion behind the Architect, merely a request for coexistence on a multi-universal level. While the angels have greater parts to play in the foundation of our universe, they and Gammell are fragments of their respective gods, with free will and freedom to make choices," Meris explained.