A Demon's Honor

Completed one-shot storylines are archived here after their completion.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: A Demon's Honor

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"It's more the case of his idea of relaxation being fairly passive," amended the Infernalist. "A bit like mine, honestly. He prefers snoozing and reading things that don't quite pertain with the law, and seeing as he isn't physically able to sit down, most people assume he's a tad stuck-up... Which he perhaps is, emotionally speaking, but that's par for the course with his kind of endured eternity of suffering..."

Tom shrugged. "Give him a few years and odds are he'll crack wise a little more often. For now he's more likely to pick a shady spot and just stand there."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Surfacing, Aislinn heard the conversation and nodded. "He probably will. Give him some time. Randolph's still a newborn, so to speak," she acknowledged with a smile.
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

"I'm sure of it," Katherine agreed, nodding along. "Sometimes a bit of passivity's just the thing after a hard day, we can all agree on that."

She looked around for the Drake boy. "How's your training coming along, Aidan? Have you managed to give Jenkins a run for his money yet?"
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Three shrugged as he plopped a Jumbo-sized bottle of ketchup on the table. He'd gained a little in muscle mass, but not by much. His legs were what he'd toned the most, having otherwise settled with keeping the rest as-is. The sword tattoo along his back was indication enough that he was still undergoing fencing lessons with Sir Percival, with the rest of him evoking someone who thought or moved their way around problems, instead of shooting them to pieces or confronting them head-on. The pistol tattoos on his wrists had gotten a tad more ornate, the bullet-fabricating design still being his favorite sidearm.

"I try not to think of it in that particular way, honestly. I'm getting better with detail work when it comes to the Black Speech; I barely need to speak it anymore. I pretty much lost the ability to mentally overwhelm someone, and I'm not even sure I needed it to begin with. I can't cheat my way to telekinesis, but I can hold stuff up or slow down falls. I can stop bullets if I can see the shooter before he presses the trigger."

He picked up one of the paper plates, lifted it to about eye level, and then let it fall towards the table. His lips silently moved over a few syllables at the exact same moment, the plate ending up suspended an inch or so above the table's surface, slightly angled towards it as though someone had pressed Pause on the normal processes of physics. Aidan then picked it up and set it back down on the table.

"I guess Chuck kept focusing on raw output, but we haven't really been comparing notes. We figured out pretty early that we hadn't been implanted for the same reasons or purposes. We both are trained by Shen Long, but we don't favor the same styles. He tends to go for really bold stances - Tiger Style, for instance - Shen tells me my limbs were made for Tai Chi.

Otherwise, we tend to be pretty much on par. I'm no better or worse a shooter than he is, on average. What aptitude he has in running after perps or fleeing suspects, I complement with interviews, basic crisis management - that sorta thing. If some kid wakes up to realize he's a firestarter, he runs after said kid after half the house gets burnt down and I stay back and piece things together with the family."

Bucky started the grill. "The kid here and Aislinn are pretty much our main attachment points to Gammell's Promethean Order. Most of the Animates the Squids toss out have no clue how to survive on their own, so they end up building a rap sheet if they can't find Bertram and Dave's place or some of the other drop-off points in the area. A lot of 'em have some pretty serious resentment on the brain, so feelin' guilty for harmin' people isn't really in their immediate concerns. We've been workin' with Meris an' George pretty often, and we've at least patched things up partially with the Head Squid Honcho."

Archie nodded. "Nereus isn't quite free yet, but he certainly is free enough to act as our man on the inside. Gammell keeps a few cars parked around town, consistently gassed-up and ready to go. Whenever the Augur feels like making contact, he plays Musical Chairs with a few vehicles at predetermined points. Preston's designed a scrambling tag that prevents plate readers from registering these vehicles, so the Chamberlain can't readily track his patsy around town.

After five or six changes, he drives over. We compare notes, he and Meris have a few hours to themselves, and then we part ways. The Rothchilds and your own Aldergard are working on assembling an assault crew, should we ever need to, ahem, violently extricate the Augur from Renewal's campus in Providence. For the nonce, this is more of a potential scenario than an eventuality."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Neasa added , "Meris certainly seems happier now that she has Nereus back. So does he, and they have a common goal. Hopefully, the lovebirds will be able to have a life together that doesn't involve death and subterfuge. And the Chamberlain and the Others will merely be bad memories, if we succeed at pushing them back."
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

Katherine shrugged. "I doubt he sees it that way. You know he's always looked at it like a competition or a race."

She was going to say something else, when footsteps from the house interrupted her. "Sup, folks," Jenkins said, waving at them. He sniffed the air and grinned. "Jus' in time, I see."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Three lifted a hand in greeting. "Hey, man. If you're game to steal a couple buns from Bucky, you're on time. Otherwise, you're, um, three to four hours too early," he explained, smirking.

He then looked to Katherine. "Nereus elected not to wear his new happiness on his sleeves, to make sure the Chamberlain doesn't notice much of anything. That means no efforts to lose weight yet, and he deliberately keeps insane hours to make sure the depression-period bags stay under his eyes. He might come over, but he also just might sneak a phone call in. He's not exactly key to the Masters case, so he doesn't need to testify."

The soldier then checked his watch. "As for Meris - I think she might testify, but not under her true name or appearance. The Chamberlain would recognize her, otherwise. Don't know where she's standing on the pool party front, but she's brushed up her Veiling techniques for the courtroom."
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

Charles frowned. "Don' take 'at long t' grill up some burgs," he replied. "Meh, migh's well swim 'er off." He shrugged out of his Hawaiian shirt and kicked his sandals off, then dove smoothly into the pool. He was an excellent swimmer, and could hold his breath for almost five minutes.

Katherine nodded at Three. "They shouldn't risk themselves unduly, of course," she remarked. "Either way, we can't relax until the verdict is handed down. They may get out of this yet."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Aislinn mentioned, "I think Meris said she would be here at some point today. So she might show up here in five minutes or an hour from now. Right now, she's still staying at Gammell's home, but I do wonder if she'll settle here permanently."
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

Charles surfaced for air, blowing his nose clear and splashing about. "'Ey Tom!" he called, pulling his arm back and launching a deluge of pool water at the other fellow. "Catch!"

Katherine laughed, then sighed. "We're supposed to be relaxing, I thought? Not talking shop? Where's my swim suit?" She was fully ready to go skinny dipping, but the others would probably find it awkward and Kuhn wouldn't appreciate it anyway.