The Zen and Fury in Healing

Anything you might want to try out that doesn't temporally or thematically fit the serial should go here. This is an ideal space for all your what-ifs and might-have-beens, as well as for your average silliness.
Karl the Mad

Re: The Zen and Fury in Healing

Post by Karl the Mad »

Breathing and stretching, fine, he could do that. Sort of like, like... meditation, perhaps? Had he once learned how to meditate? He must have, but...

Following the example set by the others, Marius first breathed in and out, calming himself, and then stretched and worked out the kinks in his body. And judging by the way his bones crackled and how he winced a bit, there were a lot of kinks. But he bore through it anyway, finding some grim satisfaction in the minor aches and pains of his body. No pain no gain, after all.

"I don't understand," he remarked after a few moments of this. "After I was defeated I had one overriding goal: survive. I shoved everything to the side to make it day by day, knowing what would happen if I succumbed to the urges. Knowing that if I lost against myself, everyone would be justified in their hatred of me, in their inevitable response to my rage... knowing that the Goat would have full claim to whatever was left of my soul after the Others had their way."

Talking seemed to stave them off as well, in some small way. "Perhaps the obsession was rerouted that way, because it was easy at the time to ignore the voices and do everyday things. But since the battle, since the Goat is a threat no more... it can't be that simple though, can it? The Goat is gone for now, but so is the magic, perhaps that has something to do with it?"

Now feeling somewhat more limber and in control, he stood up straight and cracked his knuckles. "It seems too simple just to say that I've lost control because the urges are unfocused, and that I'm sliding back into some Dracul default state of hoarding wealth. Damn Victum anyway..."
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

"Good," complimented Shen to the Fauns, finishing his own rounds of lower stretches and turning around so his chest would rest on the floor. With one arm held out at ninety degrees to his core, he slowly turned on his side and effectively stretched his right shoulder. He waited a few moments to address Marius, having given himself a few minutes to test his own alignment and applied torque. He didn't comment on his own progress, but his slight eyebrow-raise and light grunt seemed promising. Maybe he happened to be slowly re-gaining flexibility he'd previously lost... As he turned to work on his other shoulder, he spoke to the vampire.

"It seems simple because it is, and because it only serves as the basis for a more healthy set of habits. Focus and breath alone won't change things, on this both of us can agree, but you aren't taking into account the clarity breath offers. Your anxiety is still manifest and you've only just started, so you haven't had time to effectively distance yourself from your problems."

A few more steadying breaths followed. "Say I, too, had a great hoard to store, and petitioned you to design an iron-clad vault for me. Some means of containment no debonair warlock in the skin of a local failure could possibly disarm or break through," he said, adding a smirk. "How would you address my request? One component at a time, or as a titanic whole meant to be addressed in short order?"

A slight groan of effort. "I've spoken to other Ordo, and some like Forsythe Holden find control in tackling problems systematically. If the Blood imposes some notion of thrill or satisfaction in the pursuit of domination, then why quiver at the sight of the mountain that needs scaling? Relish in every hand-hold and footrest, instead, aware that taking things one breath at a time gives you more flexibility."

With both of his shoulders limbered up, he stood up and carefully worked his waistline, eyes closed to better take in points of tension or release. "The truth of the matter is that those who merely express the Blood have more freedom than those who originated new strains. Your obsessive tendencies are rooted in Victum's own delusions, yes, but that isn't your burden to bear - nor any other Ordo Dracul's. Just as the Guildmates can point their Kenning towards objects of interest, this new world now offers you a myriad of opportunities. They might be different from those you had rested your hopes in, previously, but they are still manifest."

The dragon worked his elbows and wrists. "Imagine what you could do if the Blood spurred you on to better help re-inject via into the world's ley lines, or how to genetically alter the new and invasive Hell-based plant strains that are choking out the South of this country. There is control to be found there, some measure of gratitude, as well - but these do not offer your progenitor's self-destructive capabilities. There are many ways you could sate this core of admitted selfishness the Blood carries while helping the world around you."

A smirk was added. "In any case, you are already doing much better than your own bloodstrain's thematic namesake. You are asking questions, whereas Alexander Ruthven was last spotted in Panama, courting drug lords and other kingpins to secure illicit funding for what is left of his company, while citing Eminent Domain over Aspasia's own genes... Vlad Draculea, peddling with gangsters for cocaine and Red Snow money. How the mighty have fallen."

The old sifu chuckled silently. "For once, I find myself wishing good karma upon Goliath's Legal team."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Aspasia grunted at the mention of Rendell still trying to claim ownership rights on her genes. "On that matter, I'll reluctantly agree with you, Shen Long. Issacs would have more claim to it than he does, and even then, I'm not keen on anybody really owning my genetic material. However, I had to agree to a bargain of paying back with research based off my genes. Goliath was also the one who made Miranda's birth possible, so I reluctantly give them some leeway," she groused.

"It's still kinda surprising that you're okay with them having that much power," the girl responded, frowning as she finished another stretch.

The mother fauness chuckled and reached over, ruffling the top of her daughter's hair. "You're more important than my occasional grumpiness toward Goliath Corp, kiddo," she responded. "I left a lot of my frustration and anger toward them back in my younger days."

Aspasia nodded to Marius. "I have to agree with Shen Long. You have a lot more definite potential than Old Man Drac. Yeah, you got a past, but most people do to greater or lesser degrees. I'd say the incursions gave you a second chance to do something different in your life, but it's up to you to determine what that is."
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

"A second chance..." Marius replied thoughtfully. He had arrived at such a conclusion himself once upon a time, had he not? During his exile on Mars, or afterwards? "You're right, of course. Although even that might be inaccurate, I'm probably on my third or fourth chance by now."

All the talk about genetics went over his head, instead he focused on Long's hypothetical question. "If you wanted a vault built, well, I'd have to survey the site, have your hoard appraised and scanned for arcane power, interview you to ascertain any specific needs you wanted addressed, draw up the blueprints, source materials and contractors... one step at a time, like you said. I could see myself going into that line of work, for sure; the break-in at the vaults here in Hope were the only major failure of my company in decades, and even then they failed to steal the relics."

He continued stretching and breathing, the movements getting easier with repetition. "There's plenty of competition in that area already, however, and I've still some harmless pursuits of my own to see to. Perhaps I could consult on the subject for Griffin Securities, or Goliath Corp.?" There were patent issues to sort through first, of course, since the majority of the advances he had made were registered under pseudonyms and descendants, but they were still things he knew and could enact.

Despite himself he glanced about, eying the room and considering the building as a whole in pursuit of Long's hypothetical situation. It was better than dwelling on his own situation, really. Ugh, he was definitely going to go back to his drafting table after this, just to get the question out of his system...
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Perhaps catching Marius' sudden interest, Shen smiled humbly as he stood back up. "My hoard would be a difficult one to contain," he admitted. "I find it in those lives I touch, those people I've assisted and in the peace I sometimes succeed in imparting to others. Everything else is transitory. My accountant obviously disagreees, but I feel no need to stash what I intend to redistribute or concretely invest. To others go the search for imbued artifacts or trinkets of power; my wealth is in those such as Miranda."

Having smiled at the younger Fauness, he smiled back at the vampire. "Or yourself, now that you've proverbially sat at my table."

Placing himself between Miranda and Marius, something about his posture immediately seemed rather didactic. "Now - for the uninitiated, Joyful Death is a jian with a long and storied history, created in order to house a palimpsest of the minds and skills of all those martial thinkers and poets my family interacted with, as well as all those I would later study with or under. It isn't quite a phylactery so much as it is a storage device replicating the knowledge and personalities of all those masters. They speak to one another as well, and infuse the sword with a command of martial artistry that is unique in all the world. One could kill with it, obviously, but its true design is the expression of physical and momentary beauty. Miranda saved my life and earned the right to wield it."

His gaze slid from Marius to Miranda. "Can you show us your form, Mira? My practice jian are being sanded and oiled, but my bokken are fresh out of the woodworking studio next to John's bodega. The weight distribution might be a bit off, but I imagine you could still work them into your practice."

The dragon's teeth flashed for an instant. "I think you've had a sensei or two whispering in your ears, those few past training sessions. Let's see how well you can blend genres. Marius, I think your keen eyes could be of use, here. I don't know how familiar you might be with either Chinese fencing or kenjutsu, but you obviously have the eye for movement that most elder vampires develop. Let's see if you can help Miranda improve her work, hm?"

A light click of his tongue followed. "Concerning later occupations - you should perhaps discuss of it with Sir Holden, or his uncle. Any consulting work could require that your patents be normalized, first. I know Nigel Griffin is quite particular when it comes to his engineers' assigned rights; he would want to make sure you receive what you're rightfully owed."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Miranda nodded. "I can, yeah. I'll go retrieve your bokken," she responded, giving a quick "excuse me". She scurried off in the direction of the panda's bodega.

A few minutes later, she returned to the dojo, carrying the wooden swords. She gently laid them down on a nearby table and picked up one. Indeed, a couple of the Japanese masters had instructed her on how to hold and handle them. The satyresss turned and widened her legs around shoulder width apart, relaxing her weight on her hooves. She held the bokken with both hands on the hilt, one at each end.
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

The idea that he could be part of someone's wealth was novel enough that Marius had to think about it for a moment. Long didn't mean it in a possessive sense, he felt safe in assuming that much, so how did he mean it? The way a teacher feels when he points at his students? There was pride there, of a sort the Goat probably had difficulty understanding; pride in others, in seeing one's teachings uplifting them to greater heights. It was an interesting train of thought, but the lesson was proceeding, so he got off and paid attention again, leaving it for later.

"I see," he replied with a nod, "sort of a USB stick or something? Temporary upload of skill, or is it permanent?" He could think of half a dozen people who would pay handsomely for Joyful Death, but didn't bother entertaining the idea. Merely possessing it in his own capacity as an antiquarian would elevate his status in that world, and it would also paint a target on his back. One he didn't need. He had no wish to attempt to possess the blade for himself.

"Sure, I can watch. I'm no kendoka but I know the basics well enough. And you're right about my future work, but that's something to think about later, hm?" For now he was determined to apply himself to these lessons, and stood back to watch the young fighter go through her moves.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

A few minutes passed during which Shen allowed Miranda to replicate her kata, stopping her on occasion to nudge a foot or place a hand on a hip, or a finger under her chin; refining her posture and adjusting traditional considerations to the uniqueness of the young Fauness' form. Popular culture tended to picture senseis and sifus as being stern and demanding sorts expecting a total adherence to discipline, and the dragon clearly wasn't one of these. Gradually, he asked that Miranda go faster, and regularly raised a hand to remind her to breathe.

"That's it," he said, "pay close attention to your legs; they alone could tell you how balanced you are. You aren't wielding Joyful Death right now, and if any of my old masters feel authorized to give you lip for something that is outside your control, you can tell them I will let you skip on the blade's oiling and buffing routine for a few weeks. See how they like it," he said, chuckling. "Otherwise, breathe, keep your eyes in soft focus, and always return to a guarding stance if no opening is manifest. To others go diamond-hard skin or the resilience of ages, careful fighters always care for themselves, first and foremost."

Still smiling, he looked back to Aspasia. "Would you care for a short spar, miss Robertson? Your daughter is only just beginning to grasp the importance of a well-honed technique, and our venerable friend is so fast and resilient, if pushed, that technique scarcely matters at his level. In contrast, you were taught a military style and have no additional centuries to rest on, and I am recovering from injuries and am in particular need of reinforcement. This puts us on equal footing."

Long then looked back at Marius. "Pitting you against Miranda should help you rediscover your own martial structure, I believe," he said, tossing a bokken at the vampire. "All of us aged folk carry reflex actions, and warriors of any scope are particularly inured against martial self-awareness. The rules are simple: go only as fast as a mortal could conceivably go, and stop your fists short of Miranda. Points when a fist is presented before the opponent's face or when a leg or foot touches another. Leg sweeps are permitted, but - Miranda?"

The dragon winked at the girl. "I know Blues have particularly effective kicks, but don't go too hard on him, hm? You'll prove unable to so much as bruise Marius, but you should still be able to bring out a greater sense of awareness out of him."
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Aspasia nodded. "Sure, I'll take you up on that spar," she responded with a light smile. She approached the mat and stood across from him. She respectfully bowed and situated herself into a stance befitting off her military background. Her legs were evenly placed to keep her in perfect balance, with her arms placed just so to protect her torso from strikes.

Miranda also nodded and stood across from the vampire on another of the mats, bowing before getting into position. Her stance was different from her mother's, albeit still just as protective yet a bit more fluid. "I'm ready, Marius."
Karl the Mad

Post by Karl the Mad »

With nothing better to do he watched Miranda practice, carefully noting her movements and wondering if he could do the same. Surely he could. Not every battle could be won on raw power alone after all, there would be foes who could match him for strength and speed. Moments later, irony of ironies, there was a stick being thrown at him. Fight the little girl, eh. There were countless reasons that was a bad idea, not least of which that it was a huge waste of time. This whole affair was a waste of time! He had to get back, to his drawing board, to his vault, to his collections...

No. Stop. This is good for you, he told himself irritably, gripping the false sword and bowing in response before taking his own stance. Feet braced, sword held before him in a neutral defensive grip. He was faster and stronger than she was, fast enough to evade every blow and strong enough to break her in half? He'd just have to slow down, is all, and use a fraction of his strength. He was well used to playing gentle with the squishy mortals already, this shouldn't be that bad.

The consideration of being humiliated by a child wasn't worth entertaining. She was probably better than him at this, and there was no shame in admitting it. He'd need a moment to remember this stuff anyway; he had no doubt Shen would catch on fast if he just imitated what Miranda and Aspasia had been doing. Not that he could do so faithfully anyway, considering the differences.

"Your move, then," he said in reply, wooden blade held at the ready.