- space travel is fairly common. Each major population center has its own spaceport
- Paradise is currently the major destination, usually referred to as "Gilese 581 C". "Paradise" is more of a colloquial designation
- Karthian + Drifter prospectors are setting ground work for off-world Terran colonies in solar system
- currently test colonies and research centers on Luna and Mars. A few hundred individuals per settlement at best
- we're still a far cry from lunar casino towns or exotic resorts on exoplanets
- even the shuttles aren't really designed for comfort. Hypersleep tech is used to bring non-Karthian beings into something resembling Stasis during travel
- trip involves fold-space drives, so it only takes a few hours and three "leaps". Stasis is a safety measure in case the fold-space drives fail...
- would enable the drifting cruiser to plot its course back to Earth on standard engines over the course of centuries, with its passengers kept alive
- main purveyor of VTOL services in America (Vertical Take-Off and Landing) from helipads
- shuttles can hold twelve passengers, four crew and two pilots
- fairly new market a single company was able to quickly corner
- same shuttles are also used for upper-atmosphere flights (Hope-Tokyo in two hours, for instance)
- forced development of extreme-altitude parachute gear, long-distance wingsuits, etc.
- allows outfitted humans and anthros to survive atmospheric re-entry conditions and to deploy high-performance chutes from higher altitudes than conventional chute fabrics
- sleeker suits for space walks or zero-atmosphere conditions were also designed. Far less weight to carry, far less bulky. Feels like your average fighter pilot's suit without outer shell on.
- Russo-Karthian company offering freighter services for goods, anything that qualifies as cargo
- core European and North-American outlets are fairly professional, but TI serves as the best unwary flight plan "carrier" for illegal immigrants or people looking to leave Earth on the sly
- ultimately depends on the vigilance of local operators. Capture of Anastasius Romanov dissolved the Hierarchy and Hierarchy was maintaining USSR cargo standards...
- Hope's TI counter is secure, so is New York's or Boston's or Washington's or Seattle's - but Hoboken's isn't. Plenty of scummy little offices in remote towns that TI's verification staff can't routinely check
- ...that means a lot of Karthian operators aren't shy about how they miss being able to mentally shackle their workers
- the "freedom" to be reckless or careless is what's allowing illegal deportations, immigrations or "unscheduled" vacations...
See what the world's like in 2025! All specific technological achievements are chronicled here for your perusal.
1 post • Page 1 of 1