Net Neutrality: Part Trois

Sophia's neck of the woods (pun intended), this is where you should head for any meet-and-greet you'd like to partake in, as well for any discussion that isn't related to role-playing. Have fun, go crazy - but keep your nose clean.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Net Neutrality: Part Trois

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

To quote a bunch of old cartoons, here we go again...

The FCC is planning on overturning the latest decision in favor of Net Neutrality by December. 

Y'all know what to do by now.

I gotta say, I'm a little scared. Lately, game publishers have proven they're willing to nickel-and-dime consumers for several times the sunk cost of any single game purchase, on the basis that development times have gotten too costly. Take a look at the parent company for Rockstar Games, Take Two Interactive, and you realize microtransactions in GTA Online have earned them twice as much money as the game's core releases combined. EA's backpedaled on Star Wars Battlefield II and Need for Speed Payback, but loot boxes are so integral to both games that you can't expect much more than a half-hearted re-tuning of the experience gains or credit earnings.

Why have some of the money, it seems, when you can have all of the money?

Pair that with the FCC now being willing to let ISPs throttle you on the basis of content or location, and it feels like the tech sector is entering a new Dark Age...
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Re: Net Neutrality: Part Trois

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Thanks for sharing this. It unfortunately feels like I don't see enough recognition about this issue, and people take it for granted. It's vital, given how the internet is integrated into everything.