New compy!

Sophia's neck of the woods (pun intended), this is where you should head for any meet-and-greet you'd like to partake in, as well for any discussion that isn't related to role-playing. Have fun, go crazy - but keep your nose clean.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

New compy!

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Just bought meself a new rig! It's... notably more powerful than this piece of late eighties' nostalgia.

I splurged on a re-edition of my current case, the Cooler Master 690 III, and a 6600 i5 core. Could've upped it to a i7, but my snooping-about and the two salesthingies I talked to pretty much made it clear that i7s weren't exactly required material for most of the current titles. I tossed in a 250 GB SSD for the OS (Windows 10 Pro, natch) and I'll add the 1TB plate drive I already have and reserve it for Steam and games and such.

Add 8 GBs of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1070 Strix by NVidia, and I've got enough to stick with the more recent titles for at least four or five years.

While browsing, I also came across a refurbished Corsair Strike mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches. Being a refurb, they were willing to let it go at 100$. I couldn't resist, having wanted a mechanical keyboard for years, and bought it straight away. I'm still not used to how springy it is and how, er, clackety everything is, and I'm trying real hard to coach myself as to where the switches' actuation points are. I still feel like I'm hammering away at a precision instrument with a meaty and uncoordinated pair of ham haunches,  but when it works? Damn, do my fingers like having extra stamina...

My one problem is that I seem to be occasionally holding unwanted keys down without being aware of it. Considering, if one of my posts suddenly includes a lot of random numbers lik33333333333e this, I'm not trying to represent the Black Speech in written form - this is just me not realizing my middle finger rested on the "3" key just a little too hard while typing.
Karl the Mad

Re: New compy!

Post by Karl the Mad »

Nice, bro! What was the final bill, and where did you get it from?

Also, Windows 10? I heard that wasn't a good gaming OS. Or did they fix that?
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: New compy!

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Got it from Micro-Bytes, a local Mom-and-Pop PC hardware depot I've been doing business with for over fifteen years, now. They gave my current croaker of a rig some extra six months' time by supplying me with a 750 Ti to replace my old-ass 1GB card.

Total for the new rig's just under 2500$ fat Canady dollahs.

Still, I was kinda surprised - they sell gamer chairs, now. 

Wrap your head around that: gamer chairs. When any ratty old cheapo executive office chair snagged at Staples or Office Depot does the job just fine. I guess sitting your ass down in a chair that's called the Enzo or the Ferrarri makes you feel your kill count or your APM is worth a damn...

As for Win10, it's kind of a must-have, now, seeing as I really want to see what DirectX 11 and 12 are going to be able to dish out.

Edit: typing this on my new rig, and it's so quiet you couldn't blame anyone for thinking I wasn't even on the thing!