ME AM SUPAH HACKA

Sophia's neck of the woods (pun intended), this is where you should head for any meet-and-greet you'd like to partake in, as well for any discussion that isn't related to role-playing. Have fun, go crazy - but keep your nose clean.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

ME AM SUPAH HACKA

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Nah, I just managed to find a decent US VPN and finally got to snoop around Hulu's catalog.

I'm not impressed. Yay, there's the entire run of The Simpsons and most other Prime Time TV shows Quebec either carries in crappy dubbed format or just not at all, but there's really not much else. Even the movie selection feels a bit lacklustre.

Netflix got a major boost, though, since it started seeing me as American. The Horror section is actually looking decent now, as opposed to what it previously was for me - mostly Asylum Mockbuster Land.

So yeah, that's pretty handy. I'm using the SoftEther VPN client and its VPN Gate plugin. All you need to do is have the client emulate an Ethernet connection while actually using your own for the sending and reception of data. After that, use the VPN Gate plugin to browse the couple, oh, thousand public networks available, pick one that suits your purposes, and away you go. It more or less "jailbreaks" Netflix for me, and it allows the Chinese to access censored sites like Twitter or Facebook - or some members of the European Union to keep accessing certain BitTorrent trackers, like The Pirate Bay or H33T.

The one and only downside is that all your traffic is re-routed through that distant connection for as long as you're connected to the VPN. Depending on how crowded it is or how distant you are from it geographically, video streaming services might take a hit in terms of performance.

For a free workaround, that's not half-bad.