Theme Songs

Sophia's neck of the woods (pun intended), this is where you should head for any meet-and-greet you'd like to partake in, as well for any discussion that isn't related to role-playing. Have fun, go crazy - but keep your nose clean.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Re: Theme Songs

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

I don't really hate Dubstep, I'm just particular about what tracks I tolerate. As for this one, the more quiet parts do have that "training montage" feel. :) The parts where the beat drops? Hm. Whenever their research or their experimenting with the Darkhallow makes them act more aggressively?

I've got one that might be Katherine's semi-ironic phone chime for Aldergard, The Vines' Black Dragon:

TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

Lol! Yeah, that's one interpretation of it. I figure where the additional, deeper voice is added toward the end of the track could actually be the Architect following their (in particular Meris') progression, as well as the upcoming division they'll face. It just makes me think of them being separated and finding their way back to each other.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Loyalist Void Weavers would probably consider themselves fairly represented by whatever wailing and mind-rending chants are contained in their ceremonies, but Cuthbert is markedly different, being a Knight of the Order of St. Giles. If he ever was to find a way to project himself into the Darkhallow, chances are he'd unconsciously recreate a Romanesque chapel, and fill its atmosphere with incense smoke and some hymns that are more than a little liturgical in their origin.

Considering, the Virgo Serena feels like something that would fit with him. There's the obvious holy aspect of it all, sure, but there isn't anything more opposed to the Black Speech than Gregorian choirs, with their measured and methodical singing. As he's the type of guy who believes in God from balls to bones and considers his relationship with the Divine to be too intimate to warrant any typical Born Again-esque grandstanding, he'd appreciate a version that packs a lot of echo - a lot of power - but that's still largely subdued.

IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

Here's another not-so-serious one. :D

I figure Archie and Crystal are at some fundraiser or a gala event of some kind, they've been dancing and chatting it up in the sort of classic setlists these events usually involve (like your nth application of the Great American Songbook), and then this comes along, as secretly arranged by Andrea or one of the Shieldies. Or both.

I figure you'd see Archie progress from being stiff, ill-at-ease and generally limited by his lack of familiarity with Electro-Swing (even though he does know his way around classic Swing routines) to being able to sell something and, finally, stealing the show on the last repeat of the chorus. The next thing you know, he's purchased I'm So Classy in CD form and he's starting to get into bands like Caravan Palace.
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

I've been thinking about what Meris' singing voice might sound like, especially if she was singing in Norn or some older language. I think this song really fits. It captures the richness in the Faroe and Orkney Islands related history and heritage. There's also a sort of hypnotizing quality to the singer's voice.

TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

This video made me think of Nereus when he'll eventually meet up with Meris again, emotionally in pain but also relieved. I think it captures the inner turmoil he's been experiencing the past few centuries, but he finds the one he's been yearning for all those years.

IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

I can't really link this to any particular character - except maybe Thomas Quint, for reasons I'll have to develop in the Nexus - but I just can't stop listening to this cover of The Legend of Zelda's dungeon theme. They took a looping little NES arrangement that tried to evoke suspense and dread and turned it into the chillest piece of Smooth Jazz I've ever heard. It's awesome.

As to why I'm linking this with Quint, it has to do with how this track made me imagine a more Film Noir-inspired take on his character, something that'd be more useful and manageable than his current "Fear me, I'm an incompetent Infernalist!" schtick - if not more interesting. Check the Nexus for more info. :D

For now, just wipe the current basis behind this character from your mind, and imagine a swanky nightclub, owned and run by a couple demons. Someone in the Pit decided that the Djinn had the right idea, and that the mortal plane isn't really made to be invaded - it's made for R&R, at least from their perspective. New Quint sees himself as a service provider, and he doesn't discriminate between Pandemonium and the Pit, Heaven or Hell, the Hereafter or the mortal plane. If you've got supernatural business to conduct and want to do so in a mellow setting that discourages just about anyone from taking out the proverbial flaming sword, this is where you do it.
IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

And from Smooth Jazz, we go to some really dark corners, with Gollum's Song, from The Two Towers. Seeing as I associate this song to Nereus, or at least to an occasional emotional state he's had to hide after Meris' departure, I won't link to Emiliana Torrini's version - as awesome as it is - and will instead use Peter Hollens' a capella version.

Where once was light
Now darkness falls
Where once was love
Love is no more
Don't say goodbye
Don't say I didn't try

These tears we cry
Are falling rain
For all the lies you told us
The hurt, the blame...
And we will weep to be so alone
We are lost
We can never go home

So in the end
I'll be what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me

Now we say goodbye
We say you didn't try

These tears you cry
Have come too late
Take back the lies
The hurt, the blame...

And you will weep
When you face the end alone
You are lost
You can never go home
You are lost
You can never go home

I figure that sometimes, Nereus could lose sight of the events that had separated him from Meris. I always figure they left quickly, following Lucian's warnings concerning the resistance's failure in Dalarath. He barely had time to process anything, so his emotional responses were and still are jumbled. He'd like to strictly blame the Chamberlain, but on some levels he does indeed fling the blame partially at Meris. Delmar told her to keep some things away from him to safeguard their efforts, and he feels betrayed. He also hates himself for all that happened later on; so who is to blame, really? Who told the lies the song is speaking of? Is it the Chamberlain? Did Nereus lie to himself, seeing as he's realized how unreliable he is as a resistance leader and as an Augur?

Is it Meris?

In any case, he'll spend long centuries feeling alone in the crowd, locked away from the one place he truly called his home - his and Meris' sanctum in the Darkhollow.

Until Meris comes back to him and gives him purpose, he blames himself. He is lost, and, as far as he knows, will never go home.
TennyoCeres84
Site Admin

Post by TennyoCeres84 »

And now back to Tom with a song that I think really fits him. This one I had listed in the original theme song thread for Arthur, but it now applies to the local incubus as well. It especially works for when he'll have his club up and running, but its sultry sound and some of the lyrics hint at his carnal nature.

IamLEAM1983
Site Admin

Post by IamLEAM1983 »

This one seems to fit both Meris and Nereus, honestly.

I find it looks the same, but everything has changed
I find remembering gets harder every day
Sometimes, I still believe who I pretend to be
Sometimes, the little thing's exactly how it seems
Exactly how it seems

I see the color of your eyes has turned to gray
I feel the wind is growing colder every day
Sometimes, I open up the walls and disappear
Sometimes, the crashing of the waves is all I hear

Ocean, oh, help me find a way
Ocean, oh, wash us all away

I know that everything we did will come around